Summary: Understanding the character and nature of God, the Father and His plans for you.
A. Questions to Ponder
1. Do you see God as a tyrant? If so, why?
2. Do you feel you cannot come to Him for everything? If so, why?
3. Are you fearing Him to the point of not talking to Him? If so, why?
4. Are you mad at God for your life or current situation? If so, name the situation
5. Are you unhappy with how He created you? If so, what is it you don't like about yourself?
6. Do you see God as your Heavenly Father? If so, how?
B. God's Plan
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. You will find me when you seek me, if you look for me in earnest." (Jeremiah 29:11-13 TLB)
"When I think of the wisdom and scope of God's plan, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit. And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
"Now glory be to God! By His mighty power at work within us, He is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope. May He be given glory in the church and in Christ Jesus forever and ever through endless ages. Amen." (Ephesians 3:14-21 NLT)
C. God's Character and Nature
"He is merciful and tender toward those who don't deserve it; he is slow to get angry and full of kindness and love. He never bears a grudge, nor remains angry forever. He has not punished us as we deserve for all our sins, for his mercy toward those who fear and honor him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. He has removed our sins as far away from us as the east is from the west. He is like a father to us, tender and sympathetic to those who reverence him." (Psalm 103:8-14 TLB)
1. You'd be surprised how many people see God as a tyrant waiting to pounce on them when they do something wrong. They don't see Him as a loving Father wanting to help His children. They only have their own fathers to compare God with and don't understand the love of God. They may fear their fathers to the point of avoiding them.
2. Many people transfer this kind of fear to God. God wants us to come to Him any time, day or night, about anything!
3. What do you believe about God?
"My son if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee, so that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding, Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding, if thou seek her as for silver, and searches for her as for hid treasures, THEN shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God." (Proverbs 2:1-5 KJV - emphasis mine)
4. We have the wrong kind of fear about God!
The book of Jeremiah also speaks of relationship with God. Also includes relationships with others and with ourselves, explaining the results of not abiding in truth!
5. Foundational Truths about the Father
a. God is your loving Father
b. He created you with His hands.
c. God is Love (1 John 4:16). Jesus came to SHOW us His love
d. God is a Friend (Luke 11:5-11)
Abraham was a persistent friend of God (Genesis 18:22).
Moses was the friend of God.
Enoch was a friend of God.
Adam was a friend of God.
ASK: Can you go boldly to God at any time for any reason?
e. God is sovereign. (Patient and Kind when dealing with us).
f. God so loved the world that He gave us the Son (John 3:16).
g. God is omnipotent. He sits on the throne in Heaven.
h. We need to draw close to the throne (Hebrews 4:16).
i. God gives mercy and grace (Psalms 23).
j. God exalts us (Hebrews 5:5).
k. God is good!