Summary: A faith that will thrive from generation to generation: ❶ Must Be A Convincing Faith ❷ Must Be A Consistent Faith ❸ Must Be A Contagious Faith. ❹ Must Be A Confident Faith.
2 Timothy 1:5 (AV)
5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned (“not a mask” genuine, honest, sincere) faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
Antiques Roadshow on PBS. One of the show’s most famous discoveries was a Seymour mahogany card table from Boston, bought at a garage sale by a New Jersey retiree for $25. She later sold the table at Sotheby’s for over half a million dollars. Sometimes the appraisers tell people they’ve brought in a priceless heirloom, and sometimes they burst some bubbles, revealing items appearing to be valuable as worthless, deceptive frauds. It’s our job as Christians to appraise viewpoints as to whether they come from God or some other source.
- Heirloom is something, perhaps an antique or some kind of jewelry, that has been passed down for generations through family members
- Idea forms an Inheritance & loom to net or weave together
- Commanded to teach their children-(Ps. 78:5-7).
- Giving an atmosphere for, our children to embrace Jesus.
- God has provided Christian homes for the perpetuation of the faith.
- He not only wants to use you to bring your children to Christ, but to attract others into a vital relationship with Himself.
- Timothy's mother and grandmother were believers, his father was not.
Acts 16:1–3 (AV)
1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:
2 Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium.
3 Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek.
- His early spiritual training led him to become a man wise for salvation (2 Tim. 3:15).
A faith that will thrive from generation to generation:
❶ Must Be A Convincing Faith.
- Unfeigned (“not a mask” genuine, honest, sincere)
- This faith came from his mother and grandmother.
- Convincing faith has to be real
- Our children are our best critics
- Scripture must be impressed upon hearts.
Deuteronomy 6:6–8 (AV)
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
- Before transplanted we must have it first
❷ Must Be A Consistent Faith
“which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois,”
- Dwelt means to abide, to live; it has staying power and permanence.
- Passed from Grandmother, Mother, to Son
- From generation to generation
- Children learn a whole lot more about your faith from the bad times than from the good ones.
- Is your faith enduring
2 Corinthians 6:16 (AV)
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
❸ Must Be A Contagious Faith.
When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee
- Catching, Spreading, Infectious
- Your enthusiasm
- When we are excited others get excited
- You must be eager to share your faith with your children. Excitement about Jesus Christ conveys a spiritual commitment to your kids that they can never ignore.
Look for moments when you can spontaneously make your children thirsty for God.
2 Chronicles 31:20–21 (AV)
20 And thus did Hezekiah throughout all Judah, and wrought that which was good and right and truth before the LORD his God.
21 And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God, and in the law, and in the commandments, to seek his God, he did it with all his heart, and prospered.
❹ Must Be A Confident Faith.
and I am persuaded that in thee also.
If you're not sure of what you believe, how are you going to make anyone else certain?
In Paul's mind faith meant to embrace Jesus Christ in all of His fullness.
2 Timothy 1:12 (AV)
12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
- Faith was never a mere belief in the head.