Summary: Moses reiterated God's commands and recalled the stories of God's works to the new generation. We are called to share our faith journey. Obedience to God's Word brings His blessings. Obedience is a blessing.
Pass on the faith, because that’s how we pass on God’s blessings.
The best gift we can give someone is to pass on our faith, to help someone put their faith in God and walk in His ways.
• This is probably the greatest and most lasting blessing we can give someone.
• Everything else – the things we can give them or the help we can render them – are limited and temporary at best.
• We cannot always be there for them, and things are temporary and cannot last.
[Have you led someone to Christ? You’d tasted the immense, unforgettable joy that it brings.]
Moses directed the people to trust God and obey Him. He has been doing that constantly. It’s the best gift he gives to Israel.
• You can consider Deuteronomy his textbook for the people, on knowing God and keep His ways. It is a re-hash of all that we read from Exodus to Numbers.
Why is he retelling the stories of God’s salvation and provisions? Why is he restating God’s commands?
• He is facing a NEW GENERATION. He will not enter the Promised Land with them.
• The people needs to remember God and keep His ways, remember His salvation and His covenant with them.
The old generation that left Egypt with him (40 years ago) had all perished in the wilderness, except himself, Joshua and Caleb.
• This new generation are those 20 years and below, and those born in the wilderness during the long journey.
• They are now at the edge of the Promised Land (East of River Jordan) preparing to enter it.
The FAITH in God must be PASSED ON. Moses recalls all that God has said and done.
• It is important that we PASS ON our faith. This is actually in the Great Commission: Go and make disciples, and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you, the Lord says. (cf. Matt 28:19-20)
• We are called to make disciples after us, so that they too will know God and pass on what they know. This is the BEST GIFT you can give someone.
Moses emphasized particularly the responsibilities of the parents in this, because they are the new generation FIRST and probably the GREATEST influence.
• Deut 6:7-9 - Impress them. Do whatever you can to help them remember God’s Word. It is DELIBERATE.
• Further down in Deut 6:20-24 Moses says, in the future, when your son asks you, ‘What is the meaning of the stipulations… tell him: ‘We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. 22…the LORD sent miraculous signs and wonders … 23brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land that He promised… 24The Lord commanded us to obey… so that we might always prosper and be kept alive…”
The new generation wasn’t just challenged to KEEP THE FAITH but also to PASS it on to their children and grandchildren.
• Deut 6:2 “so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the LORD your God as long as you live.”
• This was emphasized a couple of times and repeated in chapter 11.
We are called to POSSESS the faith, PROCLAIM the faith and to PRACTICE the faith (to model it). The 3 P’s of faith. We will do well if we remember this.
Moses did that and so must we. Future generations will know the truth from us.
• Moses says in 6:1 “These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to TEACH YOU TO OBSERVE…” (same as the Great Commission)
• “I am teaching you… I am telling you… I am giving you god’s commands…” You see these phrases repeated throughout the book.
SHARE YOUR FAITH JOURNEY. Don’t keep it to yourself. Let people know what God has said and done in your life.
• If we are not going to share, no one will know. The truth of God will not be passed on by default.
I saw this poster about an upcoming Children Ministry Conference (March 2015).
• The title captured my attention: ONE GENERATION FROM EXTINCTION.
• They are not talking about physical extinction, of course. It’s about spiritual extinction. The conference is about children FAITH FORMATION.
• We just need one generation to do nothing, and the next generation will not know God.
In PASSING ON THE FAITH, we are PASSING ON GOD’S BLESSINGS.
• Moses explained many times the NEED to KEEP to God’s Word.
• 6:2 “… SO THAT you may enjoy long life.” 6:3 “… SO THAT it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey.”