Summary: Paul prays that the Philippian church would abound in love
Paul’s Prayer for the Church of Philippi (1)
Text; Philippians 1:8-10
1) The source of joy 2) Elements of joy, the joy of recollection, intercession,
participation, and anticipation.
I. Paul was a man of prayer
A. He prayed continuously (4)
B. He prayed fervently
1. Prayed joyfully (4)
2. Prayed passionately (8), He was motivated in his prayer by a deep love for them.
C. He prayed specifically
1. For individuals
2. For their spiritual maturity (9-11)
That their love would abound, for excellence, purity of heart, for them to be without offence, blameless, and filled with the fruit of righteousness
II. Paul Prays that they would abound in love (9)
A. The importance of love
1. The essence of God, God is love. It is the essence of Christianity and its central theme.
2. Basis of the commandments (Matthew 22:30-34)
3. The most important virtue, it surpasses all the other virtues, it is a prerequisite for all the virtues and without love all other virtues are nothing. (1Cor. 13:1-4)
B. This love is Divine
1. It is divine nature it is not natural love
Natural love is not unconditional, but God’s love “agape” is.
2. In its origin it is from God (8) “with the affection of Christ”
App. The love of a true pastor most be the love of Christ for the flock.
C. This love is Decisive
1. It is not based on feeling or emotions. The world’s love is based on feeling and conditions.
2. It is a conscious choice or commitment. You choose to show kindness and generosity.
3. We are to obey Christ’s commands to show love. (John 13:34)
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”
D. This love is Dynamic
1. “Abound” means to overflow, Greek tense is continuous progress.
2. It grows as it is expressed. It is given to by God at salvation, but we most yield to the control of the Holy Spirit for it to grow.
App. When we pray for people or show kindness God’s love grows in us.
E. This love is Discerning
1. It is not blind but wise in its assessments. Natural and emotional love can be blind. God’s love is based on real knowledge, experience, and God’s word
2. This love of God can distinguish between good and evil, moral and immoral, truth and error, scriptural and unscriptural.
App. No impulse or feeling that leads to disobedience of scripture is of God.
What kind of love do you have?
Is your love for others based on how they treat you?
Are your expressions of love motivated mostly by feelings?
Is your love growing for others?
Is your love blind or discerning?
How can you have more of God’s love for other?
Know God personally and intimately
Forgive others as God has forgiven you
Pray for others
Show acts of kindness and generosity