Summary: Behaving wisely is seeking God's will before we act. Rash behavior may do damage in moments that cannot be undone in years. This is segment two of the series. For those wishing to teach and preach this series, you may contact me for formatted handouts and
SEE THE FIRST SERMON OF THE SERIES
CONTACT US FOR HANDOUTS TO ACCOMPANY THIS SERIES
II. A – Attitude
Have I waited until my emotions and my spirit are in check before I act?
• If we are not careful, we will act in anger.
• In our haste to “do something” we will make matters worse.
• We must guard against the “knee-jerk” reaction, etc.
• We must wait until we are in control of ourselves.
• We want to be in a frame of mind to help the situation, not hurt it.
QUOTE: To deal with a situation in anger is to pour gasoline on the fire instead of water.
SEE CONTEXT FOR THE FOLLOWING.
• After the death of Samuel, David moves to the region of Paran.
• He and his troops had provided security for the residents of that area.
• He and his men need food, and so David sends representatives to a wealthy man living in the region in near the town of Maon (West of the Dead Sea, a narrow strip of barren land between the Negev and the Wilderness of Zin, which is bordering the Dead Sea).
• The Bible describes this man as “churlish” (mean, cruel, obstinate, stubborn).
• His own wife says that he is like his name (Nabal means “foolish”).
• David asks for food for his men in return for the kindness of his protecting for Nabal and his household.
• Nabal is a very wealthy man and could easily afford it.
• But in his typical (we would call it smart aleck) way, he rudely denies David’s request.
• David is prepared to wipe the whole family out, but Abigail comes with food and pleads that David not do so.
• David, unlike Nabal, listens to reason and stays his hand.
• When Nabal later awakens from a drunken state, his wife tells him of the narrow escape.
• Nabal has a heart attack and dies 10 days later.
• Listen to the servants description …
1 Samuel 25:17 [NOTE: The servants are addressing Abigail] Now therefore know and consider what thou wilt do; for evil is determined against our master, and against all his household: for he is such a son of Belial, that a man cannot speak to him.
Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
Proverbs 14:16 A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.
Proverbs 16:32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.
Proverbs 22:24 Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go:
Proverbs 25:28 He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.
Proverbs 29:11 A fool uttereth all his mind: But a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
ILLUS: King Saul, acting in rage throws a spear at David; acting in fear consults the witch at Endor.
ILLUS: It’s Not the Piano’s Fault One man gets nothing but discord out of a piano; another gets harmony. No one claims the piano is at fault. Life is about the same. The discord is there, but so is the harmony. Study to play it correctly, and it will give forth the beauty; play it falsely, and it will give forth the ugliness. Life is not at fault. Illustrations Unlimited.
ILLUS: CHOOSING ONE'S WAY
We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms—to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way. Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning Illustrations Unlimited.
FOLLOWING NOT ON HANDOUT
• When we are about to act, we do not want to act in accordance with the old man.
• May we pray, and check our attitude, so that we are certain to act according to the new man!
Ephesians 4:22-24 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.