Summary: Even more important than our physical well being we need of keep a watch on our spiritual health. It is beneficial for both this life and the one to come. (1 Timothy 4:8-9, 16)
Pay Attention to Yourself
Text: 1 Timothy 4:8-9, 16
Introduction: There are several things that I must pay attention to about my physical health. I have to have regular tests to monitor any potential health problems. I need to pay attention to my blood pressure, my cummenden level, P.S.A levels etc. Even more important than our physical well being we need of keep a watch on our spiritual health. It is beneficial for both this life and the one to come. (4:8)
I. Pay Attention to You Walk with God
A. Maintain a close relationship with God
1. Your relationship with God is the most important priority
2. Are you spending time with God in prayer and scripture reading?
B. Are you keeping in step with the Spirits leading? (Galatians 5:25)
1. Are you being lead by what your flesh wants to do?
2. Or are you being lead by the Spirit of God
C. Keep a clear conscience (1Timothy 1:5, 19; 3:9, 2 Timothy 1:3)
1. What is the conscience? Diagram: warning lights on your car
2. What is a clear (good) conscience?
II. Pay Attention to Your Heart
A. The heart is the inner center of your desires, thoughts, attitudes, and emotions
B. What are the passions of your heart?
1. We are to flee youthful passions (2 Timothy 2:22)
2. We are to pursue righteousness (2 Timothy 2:22)
C. Watch for any weeds growing in your heart
1. Weeds are what is not productive or destructive to the growing of good fruit
2. Example of weeds: pride, bitterness, jealousy, hatred, lusts. Greed, critical spirit
III. Pay Attention to Your Moral Purity
A. God wants us to be morally pure (1 Thessalonians 4:3-5)
1. This means to abstain from sexual intercourse before marriage
2. This also means to abstain from any sexual contact with someone other than your spouse if you are married. If you have failed ask God’s forgiveness
B. We need to recognize our weaknesses in this area
1. Do not be prideful in thinking this could never happen to you so you don’t need to use precautions.
Illustration of the moral cliff
2. Is the ones who are prideful that are the ones who fall
C. Build moral fences between you and the moral cliff
1. Watch your thought life (Philippians 4:8)
2. Watch what you watch, make a covenant with your eyes
3. Limit the types of meeting, amount of time, and places you are around others of the opposite sex. Example of my parent’s rule of not being alone with girl in a house by ourselves
4. Limit the physical contact