Summary: HOW WE MAY EXPERIENCE PEACE EVEN IN TODAY'S WORLD.
“PEACE IN A WORLD FULL OF TROUBLE” John 16:33
Introduction: Let me take a moment to tell you that this is a cruel and mean world. The old blues singer once wrote a line that talks about the Attraction of the world and this world order: "Bright Lights and Big City gone to my baby’s head."
• THE WORLD SYSTEM TURNS STRONG MEN INTO ADDICTED ADULTS.
• THE WORLD SYSTEM TURNS FAMILY STRUCTURE INTO SEPARATE WAYS.
• THE WORLD SYSTEM MAKES A YOUNG GIRL LOOK OLD AND AN OLD WOMAN TRIES TO WEAR SPANDEX AND LOOK YOUNG.
• THE WORLD SYSTEM MOCKS SPIRITUALITY AND LIFTS UP DIVINATIONS.
IN OTHER WORDS FOR A BELIEVER, THIS WORLD IS NOT OUR HOME.
But Jesus gives words in an Upper Room to prepare us for the worst
And yet anticipate the best. First off, He refers us to the Words
That He has spoken to us.
DO YOU KNOW THERE IS POWER AVAILABLE WHEN JESUS SPEAKS?
• HE CAN SAY PEACE BE STILL and winds and waves will take a vacation.
• HE CAN SAY COME FORTH and a dead man will answer from death and turn a funeral after-service into a family reunion.
• HE CAN SAY SOMEBODY TOUCHED ME and someone who’s reached out for him will agree with him that he’s got so much power that just one touch will turn a life around.
SOMEBODY HERE KNOWS THAT YOU WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP A LONG TIME AGO, BUT YOU HAD A WORD – JUST A WORD – TO KEEP YOU GOING:
• YOU WERE GOING TO QUIT – but greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.
• YOU WERE GOING TO THROW A PITY PARTY – but weeping endures for a night, but joy comes in the morning.
• YOU WERE GOING TO LOSE YOUR MIND UP– but He’s able to keep you in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee.
• YOU WERE GOING TO DISCARD ALL YOUR HOPE – but the Lord is my light and my salvation.
He says I have spoken unto you – these things, these matters, these prophecies that in me, in Him, you might have peace. We are living in a world full of trouble.
Philippians 2:15 states that we live in the midst of a crooked and perverse (crooked) nation. We don’t even feel safe in our homes anymore.
Where is God? Does God care? Can the one who spoke the world into existence and who spoke peace to the disciples during the storm speak peace into our world? YES
Here in John 16, Jesus focuses on the disciples and the storm that was about to hit them. They were unaware that their world was about to fall apart. Everything that had looked bright was about to go dark.
They had come to the realization that Jesus was the Messiah, the chosen one of God. They were sure that God had put His stamp of approval on Him. But it all crashed in one cruel sweep of arrest, trial, and crucifixion.
If this could happen to Jesus, God’s Son, if that kind of violence could get to Jesus, what hope is there for any of us? Their world was about to spin out of control. Just as ours sometimes does. Out of control? Yes. Beyond Hope? NO!
The disciples were about to learn what people who live in fear have not grasped. When everyone and everything around falls to pieces, God’s peace will stand intact, strong and secure. You can have that peace today.
I. A TEACHING THAT IS FALSE-“These things have I spoken unto you”
We must be careful to teach only His word. No wonder so many people are disappointed in God when they have been taught such things as:
A. GET SAVED AND YOU WON’T HAVE ANY MORE PROBLEMS
B. GET SAVED AND YOU WON’T HAVE ANY MORE PRESSURES
C. GET SAVED AND EXPERIENCE NO MORE PAIN.
ILLUSTRATE: D. L. Moody: "The best way to show that a stick is crooked is to place it next to a straight one!"
The best way to spot a false teaching is measure it against the TRUTH of the Bible.
II. A TRUTH THAT WE MUST FACE-“In the world ye shall have tribulation”
A. WE WILL HAVE TROUBLES
B. WE WILL HAVE TRIALS
C. WE WILL HAVE TRIBULATION
D. WE WILL HAVE TRIUMPH “That in me ye might have peace”
ILLUSTRATE: C.S. Lewis: "We don’t need to be told new ideas as much as we need to be reminded of old truths."
III. A TRUST THAT WE MUST FOLLOW” Be of Good cheer, I have overcome the world”
A. WE MUST TRUST GOD’S PROMISE
B. WE MUST TRUST GOD’S POWER
C. WE MUST TRUST GOD’S PROVISION