Summary: Finding peace in the wonderful birth of Jesus
Title: Peace On Earth
Text: Luke 2:1-20
Introduction: READ TEXT Can you imagine the excitement of the shepherds.
‒ Quietly tending sheep.
‒ Angels appear! “A multitude”
‒ “Heavenly hosts” Means they covered the expanse of the sky.
‒ Imagine all this for a handful of poor shepherds.
‒ God always does things in greatness.
‒ What was their announcement? It was threefold Glory, Peace, Grace!
‒ Luke 2:14 (NIV) ""Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.""
1. Glory to God!! “Glory to God in the highest...”
What could the angels possibly be glorifying God over?
A. This was the fulfillment of years of prophecy and in that God was to be glorified!
‒ God’s promise through the prophets of Messiah.
A. READ ISAIAH 53:1-8
A. It is hard to imagine that this baby Jesus would someday go through this great suffering.
B. He did it for you and me.
C. He later said, “John 17:4 (NCV) "Having finished the work you gave me to do, I brought you glory on earth."
A. Jesus knew that His purpose was to glorify God!
B. “I must work the works of Him who sent me.”
B. Not only did they glorify God because of the fulfillment of prophecy, but because of the power of God!
‒ The birth itself showed His power. Matthew 1:18 (NCV) "This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. His mother Mary was engaged to marry Joseph, but before they married, she learned she was pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit."
A. Never before and never again would this happen.
B. Jesus was born of a virgin.
‒ The fact that Jesus was now a human showed His power.
A. Philippians 2:7 (NCV) "But he gave up his place with God and made himself nothing. He was born to be a man and became like a servant."
A. What Power! What Humility! What Love!
**No wonder they glorified God in this moment!!
2. Peace on Earth!! “...and on earth peace...” You see on the screen the broken circle. Peace is the idea of completing the broken circle.
‒ It is putting two things that are supposed to be together back together again.
1. For God, Jesus was the answer to peace on earth.
2. Jesus made peace made through the blood of the cross. Both God and Man were brought back together in the work of Jesus on calvary. (Colossians 1:20 NCV) And through Christ, God has brought all things back to himself again--things on earth and things in heaven. God made peace through the blood of Christ’s death on the cross.
1. Jesus brought two things together that had been apart for many years!
2. He brought together God and man.
3. Isaiah referred to the one to come as the “Prince of Peace.”
‒ Even today, the way to spread peace is the preaching of Jesus. (Acts 10:36 NCV) You know the message that God has sent to the people of Israel is the Good News that peace has come through Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Lord of all people!
1. When we preach Christ we offer peace to others through the FORGIVENESS OF SINS!
1. Romans 5:1 (NCV) "Since we have been made right with God by our faith, we have peace with God. This happened through our Lord Jesus Christ,"