Summary: Teaching concerning the positive and negative aspects of peer pressure.
Peer pressure, The good, the bad and the ugly
Peer pressure. Good or bad?
1. What do you have in common with the people in these pictures?
2. We all face the strangling power of peer pressure
1. Proverbs 1:10, 15 says, "My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them. If they say, ’Come along with us..; do not set foot on their paths…"
Entice you- Hebrew #6615, literally, to make the way wide open, to put pleasures in ones way
A. What is “peer” pressure?
1. Peer- one that is of equal standing with another : especially : one belonging to the same age or group
2. Pressure- the action of pressing, the application of force to something by something else in direct contact with it
B. It comes often from those we love and relate to so well
1. "For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock."
“And of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them." (Acts 20:29-30)
2. It will come, not from the punk kid down the street, but from your own circle of friends
"Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
Communications- 3657- translates as companionship, communion.
C. Is all “peer pressure” wrong?
1. No, there is a positive “PEER ENCOURAMENT”
2. Wrong peer pressure forces you to…
a. Violate your conscience
Your parent’s wishes
Violate personal codes of conduct
b. Why is it so bad to violate your own personal code of conduct?
You have untied from the mooring your are familiar with and are now adrift on the sea of life without a moral or spiritual compass.
c. How is it that a beautiful young girl will enter the world of prostitution and end up being beaten continually by her pimp and will yet stay with him?
2. Positive peer pressure, encourages you…
Respects your decisions
Honors your moral and spiritual ideals
1. What is peer pressure?
Pressure from your peers
2. Is peer pressure good or bad?
It can be good or it can be bad
Bad…forces you against your will and brings you into conflict with your moral and spiritual compass
Good… encourages you to what is good and right
3. Why does Paul in 1 Cor. 15:33, tell us to pick our close friends carefully?
"Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. 1Corinthians 15:33
Deceived- be led astray, made to wander…