Summary: The Holy Spirit ;11) empowers us to understand one another; (2) thereby exposing us to the truth of Christ; which units ther Body in Love.
Pentecost Sermon May, 2008
Únited in Understanding, Truth, and Love
By the Rev. John Donnelly
There is an old joke that says,” God so loved the world—THAT HE DID NOT SEND A COMMITTEE.’
· Indeed, God so loved the world that he did not send a committee—He sent His So, Jesus Christ.
· But after His son ascended to heaven, he left a committee in charge .
· This committee included not only the original 12, but also hundreds of other followers of Christ---most of whom had abandoned Him in his hour of need.
Fifty days after the first Easter, Christ had ascended to heaven and these paragons of courage were hiding together, for fear that what happened on Good Friday to Jesus might happen to them.
· If we could see slide # 1—God released the Holy Spirit from heaven, which descended upon the disciples like a tornado of wind.
· Slide # 2 There space was invaded by something ---
· Slide 3 & 4---They were filled with joy and excitement, and they left that room as totally changed people…as people who were no longer afraid, but as people fired up for the Lord.
HOW DID THIS CHANGE COME ABOUT? WELL, WHEN WE EXAMINE THE SCRIPTURE READINGS, WHICH WE JUST HEAD TODAY, WE SEE THREE SPECIFIC ACTIONS THAT OCCURRED WHICH BROUGH ABOUT THAT CHANGE.
· Would you please get out your gray insert from your service sheet, and look at page one?
PENTECOST SUNDAY SERMON NOTES
One of the most incredible works of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, was that the Holy Spirit supernaturally facilitated mutual understanding between people who spoke different languages.
UNDERSTOOD ONE ANOTHER
A.) GREAT DIVERSITY OF PEOPLE
Let’s look at the scripture verse in Section A of the “Understood one another “ section. “Now there were staying in Jerusalem, God fearing Jews from all nations under heaven.”
· So, the setting is that hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world had come to Jerusalem for the Jewish Thanksgiving Holiday called Pentecost, from which our Christian celebration of Pentecost gets its name. gets its name. This was the central holiday for thanksgiving, and the town was packed like Disney World.
· These people most have spoken twenty or more different languages.
· The Holy Spirit falls upon the disciples, they ran out into the streets, and they are yelling and jumping and telling everybody that Jesus had risen from the dead. BUT, they were speaking in Aramaic, a language not understood by thousands of the tourists.
B.) HOLY SPIRIT EMPOWERS THEM TO UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER
So, as we read in the verse in point B---“…a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.”
· Notice that they came together not because of the fire, not because of the wind, and not even because the disciples were talking about Jesus. They came together because they could understand what the disciples were saying. They could understand one another. Mutual understanding is a key work of the Holy Spirit.
Next, the 2nd major work of the Holy Spirit was that the disciples were unified in the truth.