Summary: The Word of God is crucial and central to the Christian life. Studying and obeying it helps us become spiritually strong and mature.
People of the Book
1. When Albert Einstein was making the rounds of the speaker's circuit, he usually found himself eagerly longing to get back to his laboratory work. One night as they were driving to yet another chicken dinner, Einstein mentioned to his chauffeur (a man who somewhat resembled Einstein in looks & manner) that he was tired of speech making.
"I have and idea, boss," his chauffeur said. "I've heard you give this speech so many times. I'll bet I could give it for you."
Einstein laughed loudly and said, "Why not? Let's do it!"
When they arrive at the dinner, Einstein donned the chauffeur's cap and jacket and sat in the back of the room. The chauffeur gave a beautiful rendition of Einstein's speech and even answered a few questions expertly.
Then a pompous professor asked a complicated question about anti-matter formation.
Without missing a beat, the chauffeur replied to the professor, "Sir, the answer to that question is so simple that I will let my chauffeur, who is sitting in the back, answer it for me."
2. When it comes to the Bible, however, it is good for each of us – not only the experts – to know not all of it, but much of it. Yet it is not enough to know the Bible; indeed, reading, studying, and pondering the Bible is a central way believers commune with God. Without the Bible, our relationship to God is one way: we speak to him, but he does not speak to us.
Main Idea: The Word of God is crucial and central to the Christian life. Studying and obeying it helps us become spiritually strong and mature.
I. We Worship God By Being ABSORBED With His Word (7-8, 10)
A. We praise God from an UPRIGHT heart (7-8)
7 I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous rules.
8 I will keep your statutes; do not utterly forsake me!
1. Requires LEARNING
You can’t read if you do not learn
You can’t play an instrument if you do not learn
You cannot work a trade or profession if you do not learn
Why do people think you can be a strong Christian without learning?
2. Requires KEEPING (doing)
• Some passages tell us to “remember and keep.” We remember beforehand, and we keep afterward.
• Proverbs 15:8, “The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but the prayer of the upright is acceptable to him.
• Proverbs 28:9, “If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination.”
B. We SEEK God by being close to the Word (10)
10 With my whole heart I seek you;let me not wander from your commandments!
C. We honor God by LISTENING and contemplating his Word
• It is not just about knowledge; it is the process of contemplating the Word
• If you had entire Bible memorized, you will still need time in the Word
• God speaks to us through the Word, and he has never spoken all that needs to be said; Bible study is not just academic
The Word of God is crucial and central to the Christian life. Studying and obeying it helps us become spiritually strong and mature