Summary: People missing the meaning the true meaning of Christmas.
“People Who Missed Christmas”
YOU KNOW CHRISTMAS IS ALMOST HERE WHEN:
There are more pine needles on your carpet than on your tree.
The credit card is smoked along with the turkey and ham..
It’s A Wonderful Life has been shown for the 13th time.
A trip to the mall and back is more challenging then the Indy 500.
The Salvation Army bell ringers standing outside of the stores start accepting credit cards.
You are pulling an all-nighter on Christmas Eve because of the words
"Some Assembly Required"
Your Christmas list is written in black while your check book balance is written in red.
The infamous fruitcake returns from its 12 months of hiding.
TEXT: Matthew 2:1-8 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,  Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.  When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.  And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.  And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,  And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.  Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.  And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
Did you know that most people miss Christmas every year? That may sound rather silly when we drown in a sea of Christmas advertising during the holidays. You may be saying, “Brother Paul, Americans used 28,497,464 rolls of wrapping paper this year. We used 16,826,362 packages of tags and bows this year. We gave out 372,430,684 greeting cards this year. And all across America stands over 35,000,000 Christmas trees. How could we miss Christmas?” Yet I am convinced so many millions will miss Christmas this year. Today I want to talk to you about five groups of people who missed that first Christmas.
II. People Who Missed Christmas
A. The Inn Keeper
1. The inn keeper missed the first Christmas because he was pre-occupied.
2. The town was crowded. There was no indication that he was hostile, or even unsympathetic to this pregnant woman. He was just too busy and had no room for the Savior.
3. We can become to busy with activities that aren’t even sinful and miss the true meaning of Christmas.
c. Christmas Parties.
d. Family coming together.
4. So many people don’t have room for Christ in their Christmas.
5. He missed the first Christmas and would not let Jesus be born in his house.
6. So many people miss Christmas by not letting Jesus be born in their hearts.
1. Let’s meet another man that missed the first Christmas…
2. Not like the innkeeper, this man was not ignorant as to who Jesus was.
3. He pretended he wanted to worship Jesus, but was really fearful of letting Him become Lord.
4. If Jesus became Lord, it would have ruined his career.
a. Lots of people are like him. They won’t allow anything to interfere with their :
b. When Jesus becomes Lord of your life, it will probably ruin your career. It may alter your plans.
5. Not only did Herod miss the first Christmas, but his fear of Jesus being king of the Jews cost thousands of children from the ages of two and under.
6. They are not about to let someone else be king of their lives. They see Jesus as a threat, and so they miss Christmas.
C. The religious group
1. Mat. 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.  And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,  And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.