Summary: Do not depend on public opinion for the answer. Answer this question personally and promptly.
PETER’S GREAT CONFESSION
13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
I. THE QUESTION WAS ASKED.
“Whom do men say that I am?”
A. WHO ASKED?
B. WHAT ASKED?
1. Not whom the priest thought He was.
2. Not whom the Pharisees thought He was.
3. Whom the people thought He was.
C. WHEN ASKED?
“After he was through praying.”
D. WHY ASKED?
1. It was not out of stupidity on His part.
2. It was not out of a sense of pride.
II. THE QUESTION WAS ANSWERED.
A. PUBLIC RESPONSE?
“Some say that thou art John the Baptist:
some, Elias; and others,Jeremias, or one of
1. The general public was uncertain.
A. Some saw him as a good person.
B. Some saw him as a great prophet.
2. The general public was uncommitted.
A. They wanted to see the miracles.
B. They did not want to submit to the
B. PETER’S RESPONSE?
“Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living
1. Peter’s response was concise.
2. Peter’s response was confident.
3. Peter’s response was comprehensive.
As you can see through this study…
1. The question needed to be asked.
2. The question needs to be answered.