Summary: People approach the message of the Gospel from many different backgrounds and points of view. God’s Word helps us clear the clutter and shines the light on the person, deity and work of Jesus Christ. Today’s study will help us better understand this.
Acts 8:26-40 - AMP
This message addresses the conversation that took place between Evangelist Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch which resulted in the Eunuch’s conversion and subsequent water baptism. People generally approach the message of the Gospel from many different backgrounds and points of view. God’s Word helps us clear the clutter and shines the light on the person, deity and work of Jesus Christ. Today’s study should help us better understand the experience of conversion.
• Today we will continue a series that we began several months ago called “Conversational Evangelism”.
• Up until now we have just been dealing with conversations that Jesus had with people but today we are going to venture into the book of Acts and take a look at Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch.
I. PHILIP WAS SPIRIT-LED
A. There was a great Spiritual Revival taking place in Samaria when Philip received his call to go to the desert.
1. This was a Gentile Revival so it was unprecedented for that day.
2. The temptation to stay there had to be strong. After all, weren’t scores of people getting saved and set free?
3. The prophecy of Acts 1:8 was being fulfilled
Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
• 3000 saved on the Day of Pentecost - Acts 2:1-41
• 2000 saved at Solomon’s Porch - Acts 3:1-4:4
• The Bible says, “Multitudes” were saved in Samaria - Acts 8:5-13
B. God cares about individuals. (God pulled Philip off task in Samaria to save one Ethiopian Eunuch!)
1. We see the masses but God see’s the individual.
2. YOU’RE NOT JUST A NUMBER TO GOD! HE KNOW’S YOUR NAME!!!
II. CONVERSATIONAL EVANGELISM - PHILIP EXPLAINS THE GOSPEL THROUGH A CONVERSATION.
A. God opens the door through Philip’s obedience.
Acts 8:29-30 - AMP
29 Then the [Holy] Spirit said to Philip, Go forward and join yourself to this chariot.
30 Accordingly Philip, running up to him, heard [the man] reading the prophet Isaiah and asked, Do you really understand what you are reading?
B. The world needs the Gospel explained to them. - Romans 10:11-15 AMP
1. Opportunities to share Christ will constantly present themselves to believers.
C. The Ethiopian Eunuch knew there was something powerful about Isaiah 53:7-8 but he needed an anointed man of God to explain it to him.
1. One question opened the door for Philip to preach Christ to this man.
• Acts 8:34 “…of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?”
2. Philip wastes not time. He “Opens his mouth and preaches Christ to him!” Acts 8:35
D. The true message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ will always include:
1. The Virgin Birth and subsequent ministry of Jesus
2. The Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus
3. The Ascension and Imminent return of Jesus
5. Confessing Faith (Believing) in Christ
6. The Blood of Jesus
7. Water Baptism (A witness to the world)
III. THE IMPORTANCE OF WATER BAPTISM
A. The Ethiopian asks, What hinders me from being baptized and they stopped the chariot and Philip baptized him. - Acts 8:36
1. Philip must have included the necessity of water baptism in their conversation.
B. Points to Ponder
1. The Method - Immersion. - The word comes from the Greek word baptizma meaning immersion.
• Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
2. Jesus Name or Trinity?
• Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
• Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
3. Purpose - For a witness to the world and a personal identification with Christ.
• Romans 6:1-14 AMP (Read & Expound)
• A fresh commitment to the true Gospel message
• A fresh commitment to Evangelism
• An invitation to accept Christ!