Summary: I. Marriage is for Companionship II. Marriage is for Enjoyment III. Marriage is for Growth
July 29, 1981 Called the "wedding of the century," the wedding of Lady Diana Frances Spencer to Charles, Prince of Wales
- Marriage problems in 1990’s – Divorced Aug. 1996
- Died Aug. 1997
It was estimated 2 billion viewers -- about a third of the world's population -- watched the Royal Wedding of of Prince William and Catherine Middleton on April 29/11
At 29, she will be the oldest spinster ever to marry a future king. Died Aug. 1997
John Edwards cheats on his wife, impregnates his mistress, and thinks he can keep the child, and the affair, a secret…while he’s running for President of the United States.
Arnold Schwarzenegger also has an affair and an illegitimate child, and thinks he can keep it all a secret from his wife…while keeping the woman employed in their home for over a decade.
Newt Gingrich on the campaign trail admits that he cheated on his wife with another woman…while he was severely criticizing the then-President Clinton of similar behavior and voting for his impeachment.
And now U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) is in trouble for allegedly sending inappropriate pictures of himself to a woman…via a publicly accessible social media tool…and only a few months after another congressman lost his career for similar pictures.
Crazy. Irrational. behavior comes down to self-destruction
Jn 2 - Another wedding. – Will it last?
- Jn 1:19, 29, 35, 42, 2:1 - Seven days from the beginning of John the 6th day
- Six day God created Man Gen 1:26
- Gen 1:31 – Everything He made was very good
- Gen 2:2 - 7th day God rested
- Gen 2:18 – It was not good
- Marriage introduced - Gen. 2:24
- Marriage was God’s idea
I. Marriage is for Companionship
II. Marriage is for Enjoyment
III. Marriage is for Growth
- Jn 1:35-51 - Five Disciples have started their lifelong walk with Him
- Their first witness of Jesus actions is at a wedding.
- Jn. 2:2 – Jesus blesses a marriage
- 2:3 – Wine ran out
Wine a Symbol of Joy
10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength. 11 So the Levites stilled all the people, saying, Hold your peace, for the day is holy; neither be ye grieved. 12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.
7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
- Here at the wedding the Joy ran out
- Here in our marriage Joy runs out
- v. 6 Empty water pots
- v. 7 We fill them with the ideas of this world
- v.8 Listen & Obey
- Our marriage needs to be a union of three
- Ec 4:12KJV
…. a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
15 Minutes A Day Can Change Your Marriage
In The Marriage Clinic, John Gottman, PhD, examines various research about why people divorce.
WOMEN 67%- ‘Feeling Unloved’ for divorce
MEN 59% - ‘Sensitivity To Being Belittled’
CONCLUSION - Most marriages end…[as] the result of people…not feeling liked, loved, and respected.”
- The first time you got together what did you do
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
- When both facts and feelings are shared, life is shared.
- Deeper comprehension occurs.
- Bonding takes place.
- Communication begins to go deeper than words
-Bottom Line – Take time together & include the Lord x