Summary: Gideon’s battle with the Midianites and how people should stand with their leaders
* This is the well known story of Gideon and his battle with the Midianites.
* The Lord spoke to Gideon & God says, "Gideon, I got one problem, you’ve got too many
soldiers." * Gideon must’ve wanted to debate that with the Lord - already out numbered - v.2
A) Gideon made a feeble attempt to tell these folks if they didn’t want to stay, they could go home.
* 100,000 to 32,000 and Gideon said in v.3, Can you imagine it? * Gideon says,
* "I want to tell you yellow bellies, if you’re afraid we just don’t need you anyway; God told me
to tell you if you’re afraid, just go home; I dare you!"
B) 22,000 went home - 10,000 remained & God says, "Gideon, you still got too many."
* Gideon’s face? * In v.4-5 God says, "I’ll take care of it this time Gideon."
* In v.6 only 300 left. * In v.7 God promised to give the victory.
C) It’s easy to trust God after the fact! ( David and Goliath )
* Look at Gideon! * "There’s no way 300 will win over 100,000 plus, we’re dead meat!"
* Do you think Gideon was afraid? * Gideon was shaking in his boots; scared to death!
* In v.9 God promised again! * But Gideon was still afraid!
D) Can I tell you that leaders get fearful? * Can I tell you ladies that husbands get fearful?
* Can I tell you kids that Mom and Dad get fearful over your life & over their family at times?
* Can I tell you that your preacher has the ability to be afraid? * Notice v.10
E) This is the first time this man is mentioned in the Bible & one other time in v.11.
* Why did Gideon go down with Phurah? * I’ll tell you why; he was afraid!
* God says, "Gideon, get down there!" * Gideon must’ve been shaking & said, "But God, I only
have 300 men." * God says, "If you’re afraid Gideon, then take Phurah down there with you."
* The next thing I find, he’s taking Phurah.
F) I want to speak to you a few minutes on this person Phurah, one of the most amazing people
in the Bible! * There would’ve never been a victory with Gideon & 300 ... not been for Phurah!
* Gideon would’ve still been afraid & nervous, but there was someone who was standing
in the shadows!
G) I want to suggest to you that there are Phurah’s in this room today!
* You’re not the lead person; you’re the second person; you’re the harmony part!
* You’re the Phurah to the Gideon; Gideons stand in the spotlight;
(1) PHURAHS STAND IN THE SHADOWS! * Wives are Phurahs; make men look good!
* This doesn’t mean that wives are ignorant nor that they don’t have any ability!
* Phurah may have had more ability than Gideon! * Women are smart & intelligent and God has
given them the ability to think.
* Though you have that ability, you’re still to be in the support role!
A) Two young boys in orchestra ....... argued over who was to play the lead part.
* Women, you’ll drive yourself crazy if you try to lead that home when God asks that man to lead!
* "But Preacher, I don’t want to stand in the shadows!"
* If you don’t want to stand in the shadows, and build that man in the sight of your children, you’re
gonna cause disruption of peace in the home - no harmony in the home!