Summary: The first major purpose for which God created us - WORSHIP
FORMED FOR GOD’S FAMILY
The Purpose Driven Life - Part 3 : 3/19/06
• I have here a sympathy letter sent by the President of the Republic of Cabo-Verde, an archipelago of 10 islands about 350 miles off the west coast of Africa. It was sent to the family of Adelina Dominguez who died in San Diego in August 2002.
• Now, what made her death noteworthy is that according to the Guinness Book of Records, she was the oldest living American. At 114 years of age, she outlived all of her children and some of her grandchildren.
• When she was asked the secret of her longevity, Associated Press reports she gave all the credit to God and to His plan and purpose for her life, quote, "I knew God had a purpose for my life."
• We’re continuing in our 40 days series on God’s purpose for your life. And last week, we looked at His first purpose, which is to get to know Him and to love Him. We learned that we were created for God’s pleasure and what we do in response to all of God’s love and goodness is worship
• Today, we’re going to look at our second purpose, which is we were formed for God’s family.
“God is the one who made all things, and all things are for His glory. He wanted to have many children share His glory...” Heb. 2:10a (NCV)
God wanted a family. That’s why we’re here. He wanted children. And the Bible says He planned everything in the entire universe so we could be born, so we could share in His glory, so we could be part of His family
“His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to Himself through JesusChrist.” Eph. 1:5 (NLT)
The entire Bible, this entire book, is the story of God building a family. That’s what it is all about. That’s why we have History, because God is building a family for Himself that is going to last not just here on earth, but forever and ever and ever in eternity.
“Love your spiritual family!” 1 Pet. 2:17b (Msg)
That’s what God wants us to do.
You see, our physical families are going to eventually fall apart. In fact, many of them fall apart here on earth. But your spiritual family is going to go on forever. So God says He wants us to learn to practice now learning to love other believers.
Now, why does He want us to learn to love them? Well, I know of at least 3 good reasons:
First, it makes us more like God, because God is love.
Second, he wants His children to learn to get along together – like we want for our own kids
Third, it’s practice for eternity. Not only are you going to love God, but other believers
MY 2nd PURPOSE IN LIFE IS FELLOWSHIP.
What is Fellowship? - some would say it’s the casual conversation we have over coffee and cookies, some would say it’s eating together - what we do back there in the “Fellowship Hall”, some might say it’s coming together at church
FELLOWSHIP is loving God’s Family. (See outline)
The Bible says in 1 John 4:21: “The person who loves God must also love other believers.”
We have to love other believers. Now, how do you do that? Well, fortunately, the Bible gives us crystal clear instructions. Paul wrote this,