Summary: Many thanks to my good friend, Pastor David Carter of The Rock Falls Church in Boiling Springs, SC for the thoughts in this sermon. When you practice Luke 6:38, go ahead and plan for the overflow!
LUKE 6:38 “PLANNING FOR THE OVERFLOW”
A) I think it is time we started emphasizing GIVING, instead of someone’s income!
* We live in a world where our social standing is based on our income.
* God is not interested in how much you make – He is interested in how much you give.
* No one will be able to stand before God and brag on how much they made or how little they
made – Those who received a reward will be those who were willing to give!
B) We are so much like God when we give! * “For God so loved the world that He gave ...”
* The Bible over and over from Genesis to Revelation tells of the Love of God and how He gives!
* If you study the Bible, you will find that Jesus spoke more about giving, than he did about
prayer, or faith.
* Prayer is mentioned approx. 500 times – Faith is less that 500 times and giving is mentioned over
2000 times. * Out of the 38 parables, 16 of them deal with giving.
C) Text ... The symbolism was taken from, in Bible times in the Middle Eastern Grain market!
* The people would bring in a handful of grain and be ready to receive more grain.
* They would blouse out their garment to receive the grain ... A good measure, pressed down,
shaken together, and running over would be given to them.
D) A good example is found in the story of Ruth (3:15)!
* Ruth went into the city to get barley, and Boaz told her to hold out her veil or cloak or her shawl
and she did, and Boaz gave her 6 measures of barley .......
* A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over!
E) This is what Jesus wants to do ... He wants to fill your lap with abundant blessings!
* He wants to send you so many blessings it will cause an overflow!
* Do you want to live in the overflow of God’s blessings?
F) Do you want a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over blessing?
* Then give! * You can’t out give God! * You give yours and God gives His!
* The Big Shovel Principle ... As I shovel it out, God shovels it in and God’s shovel is bigger
* The Open Hand Principle ... When you open your hand to God, not only can God take what He
wants, He can also put in what you need!
G) God’s hands is bigger than ours! * Story of Little boy and the candy jar .......
* The owner of the store said, “Go ahead, it’s alright, get you a big handful of candy from the
candy jar.” * But the little boy wouldn’t.
* So the store owner finally said, “Here son,” and reached his hand in the candy jar and handed the
little boy a big hand full of candy.
* Later the dad asked, “Son, why didn’t you reach into the jar yourself and get some candy?”
* And the little boy said, “Ah dad, the store owner’s hand was a lot bigger than mine!”
(1) GIVING IS A BIBLICAL COMMAND! * Mal. 3:10 “Bring ye all the tithes into the ...”
A) God is not asking you or suggesting you to tithe and give ... He is commanding you to do it!
* Some might say, “Well, that’s an OT teaching and not applicable today!”
* Gen. 1:1 “In the beginning God created ...” * That’s in the OT too, do you believe it?
* The OT is not done away with in the NT! * As a matter of fact, Jesus said in Matt. 5:17 “Think