Summary: We had a Softball Sunday, an evangelistic outreach to our softball players and the community. How we must touch each base before we get to go home.
Playing the Game of your Life
“Softball Sunday” August 29, 2004 Pastor Glenn Newton
This morning I want us to read a familiar verse as our Text, the verse may be familiar to you, but the message never gets old, the news is always good, and the offer doesn’t expire until you do…. Look at John 3:16-21
This morning I want to talk to you about Playing the Game of your Life…. In moments like this we always look to great thinkers, great philosophers who might have some wisdom that we can hold onto… listen to this good advice that I found….
THE WISDOM OF BABES
Have you ever heard the phrase, “Out of the mouth of babes?”
· Patrick, age 10, said, “Never trust a dog to watch your food.”
· Michael, 14, said, “When your dad is mad and asks you, "Do I look stupid?" don’t answer him.”
· Michael, wise man that he was also said, “Never tell your mom her diet’s not working.”
· Randy, 9 years of age said, “Stay away from prunes.” One wonders how he discovered that bit of wisdom.
· Kyoyo, age 9, said, “Never hold a dust buster and a cat at the same time.”
· Naomi, 15 said, “If you want a kitten, start out by asking for a horse.”
· Lauren, age 9 said, “Felt markers are not good to use as lipstick.”
· Joel, 10 years old, said, “Don’t pick on your sister when she’s holding a baseball bat.” and
· Eileen, age 8 said, “Never try to baptize a cat.”
We need to listen to our children, they cut through the fuzziness and just tell the bottom line truth don’t they? That’s also what I like about God’s Word… it’s direct, and it’s the truth.. Amen?
This morning I want to talk to you about Playing the Game of Your Life. Not all of us here this morning are Softball players, but we are all players in the most important game of all… this life that God has given us… if your breathing this morning, your playing, your on the field. How’s your game? Are you playing for all your worth? Are you still trying to figure out the rule book?
Listen to what Zig Ziglar says about this game of life,
"Easily the most puzzling incident in the sports world occurs in baseball when a batter steps up to the plate and lets the pitcher throw three strikes without taking a single cut at the ball. . . . Even more disappointing is to see a person in the ball game of life step up to the plate and never really take a cut at the ball. He is the biggest failure of all because he doesn’t try." --Zig Ziglar
SOURCE: Zig Ziglar Newsletter 30 April 2003
This morning I’m going to Talk to you about this Game we call life using the basic elements of a Softball game.
How many of you had great dreams as a little kid of being a great sports hero? My twin brother and I would literally spend hours in the back yard throwing the football around, playing catch with the baseball, down the street at the school playing basketball. Growing up there was only one thing to do in our spare time, play the game…
In Softball, just like in life there is only one way to win…you have to get up to bat and play the game… if you don’t bat, you don’t score, if you don’t score, you don’t win… pretty basic isn’t it?