Summary: God’s people are vulnerable, and sometimes they foolishly become sidetracked. The Psalmist seeks to plead his case by bringing up God’s special relationship to his people.
Please Restore Us!
1. When our kids were at home, we had a plastic swimming pool in the back yard.
2. One day, we went to the park and caught crayfish. We made the pool into a crayfish haven.
3. A couple of days later, we heard a noise from our kitchen window. We looked and off scurried a raccoon. We checked the pool — he had feasted on an equivalent of a lobster dinner. Not one was left.
4. We did not realize how vulnerable the crayfish were to predators, esp. here in town. But we are all vulnerable, although we are often unaware of it.
Main idea: God’s people are vulnerable, and sometimes they foolishly become sidetracked. The Psalmist seeks to plead his case by bringing up God’s special relationship to his people.
TS ————-> The illustrations include an animal, a plant, and a human son. Each one of these is layered, used for Israel, applies in principle to we believers, and is perfectly illustrated in Jesus Christ.
I. Israel: A Flock of Sheep in Danger of STARVATION (1-7)
A. The contrast: Israel’s SHEPHERD is well off (1)
B. The people are in need of God’s GRACE (2-4. 7).
1. Joseph, Ephraim, Manasseh — northern tribes
“For there was not left to Jehoahaz an army of more than fifty horsemen and ten chariots and ten thousand footmen, for the king of Syria had destroyed them and made them like the dust at threshing.”
3. It was obvious that God was disciplining the nation
4. The Psalmist asks for God’s grace by using language familiar to all:
5. Almost all the verse defines grace, while the last mentions Shalom, peace.
C. In need of food, not TEARS (5-6)
Tears are part of life, but when we have nothing but tears but little food, life is loathsome indeed.
D. We, too, need NURTURE and grace.
Rickets is the softening and weakening of bones in children, usually because of an extreme and prolonged vitamin D deficiency.
Beriberi is a disease caused by a vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency… It affects the heart and circulatory system… can cause heart failure… damages the nerves and can lead to a loss of muscle strength and eventually, muscle paralysis. Beriberi can be life-threatening if it isn’t treated.
E. Jesus is the PERFECT Lamb! (unlike Israel & Us, who can be straying sheep)
WE NEED GOD TO SHEPHERD US; WE ARE VULNERABLE TO PREDATORS
II. Israel: A Cultivated Vine VULNERABLE to Destruction (8-15a)
Illustration: In Virginia, we went to an mazing large nursery with plants you don’t see in smaller nurseries. We bought some and transported them to Kokomo. One low-growing groundcover pot looks like it might not make it. We will plant it, water it, and hope the roots are still strong and that the plant will emerge next year. TLC.