Summary: Cultivating a Desire to Please God. We will attempt to answer these questions… Why should we want to please God? How can I stir up a passion in me to make pleasing God a priority? How can I influence others to want to please God?
Today we are going to talk about Cultivating a Desire to Please God. We will attempt to answer these questions…
• Why should we want to please God?
• How can I stir up a passion in me to make pleasing God a priority?
• How can I influence others to want to please God?
We will begin by identifying things that displease God and then spend the rest of the time discussing how we can please Him.
I. THINGS THAT DISPLEASE GOD - PROVERBS 6:16-19
A. These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
1. A proud look,
2. A lying tongue, and
3. Hands that shed innocent blood,
4. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations,
5. Feet that be swift in running to mischief,
6. A false witness that speaketh lies, and
7. He that soweth discord among brethren.
B. If we know something displeases the Lord then we should be disciplined enough to refrain from it.
II. HOW DO I PLEASE GOD?
A. Learn the Bible (Read it, Study it, Have Conversations around it)
1. The Bible will teach you everything you need to know about what pleases our Heavenly Father.
2. Allow Holy Spirit to teach you by being sensitive to His leading and revelations concerning the study of the Scriptures
9. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
10. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
11. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
12. Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
B. Obey God’s Commandments - Do what the Bible says!
1. Proverbs 7:2 - Keep my commandments, and live; and my law (teachings) as the apple of thine eye.
2. John 14:21 NIV - Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
3. John 15:10 tells us if we keep God’s commandments that we will abide in His love! (What a promise)
C. Have a Heart for Missions (at home and abroad) - Especially Israel
1. This is a great place to talk about the community outreaches the your church is involved in… (Feeding the Hungry, Human Trafficking Awareness, Raising our Culture through Community Interaction, LLP, etc.)
2. Foreign Missions - The Caribbean, Supporting Frontline Outreaches
3. Israel - God’s Word is very adamant about those who Bless Israel
1. The LORD had said to Abram, "Go from your country, your people and your father's household to the land I will show you.
2. "I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
3. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."
6. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.
7. Peace be within thy walls, and prosperity within thy palaces.
8. For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.
9. Because of the house of the LORD our God I will seek thy good.
D. Living holy pleases God
1. Holiness is first of all a heart condition. - Holiness is the result of a right relationship with God.
13. Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14. As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15. But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16. Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
3. God isn't calling us to be perfect, but to be distinct from the world.1 Peter 2:9 calls us "a holy nation."
• A Missional Mindset is evidenced by people giving their lives to Jesus Christ
Nothing pleases God more than when we accept the gift of Salvation…