Summary: Part 1 of a series about God moving Christians into a deeper experience of Him.
Possessing The Land - Part 1
The Other Side of the River - Read: Joshua 3:15 - 5:1
This series of teaching is prophetic, that is, it is speaking into the church, to encourage us to take the next step along the path that Christ has chosen for us.
Because of this, you need to be committed to hear the whole series. If you’re going to be away, then please ask for a copy of the tape.
a. Joshua’s Commission
* Every place that the sole of your foot WILL tread upon ... conditional on if we go!
* I have given you, as I said to Moses ... the blessing if the condition is fulfilled
- means that the place is already won ... as we are treading on it!
Isa 61:1 “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor;”
* 7 “Only be strong [i.e. to seize hold of - looking for opportunity] and
* very courageous [standing up for your faith], that
* you may observe to do [set out to complete] according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you;
* do not turn from it [do not rebel - as witchcraft! 1 Sam 15:23] to the right hand or to the left, ... the condition
* that you may prosper [wisdom, understanding, success] wherever you go ... the blessing!
How are we to do this?
8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate [= study] In It day and night, that you may observe to do [set out to complete] according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous [wisdom, understanding], and then you will have good success. 9 for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
a. Nothing happened until they put their feet into the river (3:15) (Believe & obey).
Leadership is not a title, it’s a characteristic, a lifestyle, and leadership always goes first, not by constraint, i.e. because they are forced, but because that’s God call and will. This is the foundation principle for this or any other church.
b. They’d never been that way before (3:4) (Faith takes you into the unknown)
* “When you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests, who are Levites, carrying it, you are to move out from your positions and follow it.”
4 Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before -- We’ve never been the Eph 4:12 way before.
2. The children of Israel crossed the Jordan in full view of the enemy stronghold of Jericho (3:16). After they had crossed and were camped at Gilgal, Israel did six things before taking possession of the Promised Land:
* Their faith put fear in the hearts of the Enemy (2:2-11; 5:1)
* They stopped but they didn’t stay (4:20-24)
* They renewed their commitment to the covenant with God (5:2-9)
* They remembered their roots (5:10)
* They destroyed the manna mentality (5:12)
* They worshipped the Lord
* They did all these six things, before they fought one battle, before they attacked one city stronghold.
All these things were done in full view of the enemy (3:16). These are principles that we need to follow prophetically.