Summary: Power of a mother's love and sacrifice
A. MOSES: ONE OF THE GREATEST INFLUENCES IN THE BIBLE
1. He made a great positive choice, “He refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter” (Heb. 11:24).
2. He made a great negative choice. “Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin” (Heb. 11:25).
3. His faith saw God’s reward. “For he had respect unto the recompense of the reward” (Heb. 11:26).
4. He freed three million slaves. “By faith he forsook Egypt” (Heb. 11:27).
5. He experienced God’s miracles.
6. He received the law for Israel.
7. He led them through 40 years in the wilderness.
8. What role did Jocabed, Moses’ mother, have in his greatness?
B. THE POWER OF A MOTHER’S CHOICE (Ex. 2)
1. The power of a mother’s look. “When she saw him, that he was a goodly child” (2:2).
Mothers see things in their children others can’t see.
A mother’s look has the power to motivate her children because what she sees in them.
The adopted mothers also saw, “The daughter of Pharaoh . . . she saw” (2:5).
2. The power of a mother’s courage. She hid him three months” (2:2)
Children take on the strength of their mother’s conviction.
3. The power of a mother’s boldness. “But when she could no longer hide him, she took an ark of bulrushes for him, daubed it with asphalt and pitch, put the child in it, and laid it in the reeds by the river’s bank” (Ex. 2:3).
A mother protects her children as she would herself.
4. The power of a mother who is willing to die for her children. “By faith . . . they were not afraid of the king’s commandment” (Heb. 11:23).
5. The power of a mother’s song teaches her children the melody of life. Moses sang Ex. 15:1-15; Deut. 32. Moses’ sister Miriam sang Ex. 15:20-21.
6. The power of a mother’s love. God shows His love to babies through mothers. Every child learns love through their mother.
7. The power of a mother’s kiss. She can kiss away fear and failure, and her kiss will inspire strength and ambition.
8. The power of a mother’s smile. “Men are what their mothers make them.” ~Emerson.
C. THE REWARD OF A MOTHER’S SACRIFICE
1. She defeated her captors through her son. “By faith . . . the Egyptians . . . were drowned” (Heb. 11:29).
2. Her training was more influential than Egypt’s education. “Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and deeds” (Acts 7:22).
3. She was delivered from the prisons of her brick yard. “Take this child and nurse him for me” (Ex. 2:9).
4. She was paid wages greater than money. “Take this child . . . I will give thee your wages” (2:9). “By faith Moses forsook Egypt not bearing the wrath of the king” (Heb. 11:27).
5. She received satisfaction greater than money. “Nurse him for me, and I will give thee you wages” (2:9). Not for fame or money, or polities, or the world.