Summary: This third message shows us how we can relieve stress in our lives
THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER
“Prayer Can Relive Stress”
Adapted from a message by Wayne Field
September 3, 2006
Broadway Baptist Church
This morning we are continuing our series on the importance of prayer. So far we have seen the benefits of powerful prayer and that God is the one who calls us to pray. Today our scripture is dealing with something we can all relate to. It’s worry. All of us at some time or another have worried about someone or something. Worry can cause us to loose sleep which can lead to stress which can cause health problems and also death. God’s remedy is a simple one.
I. BEGIN YOUR DAY WITH PRAYER
A. Don’t worry about what might happen (Read verse 6)
1. Worry shows a lack of trust in God
B. When we don’t take time to pray we open ourselves up to temptation (Luke 22:45)
1. We can’t know specific things that will happen but we can gather strength for the day.
II. END YOUR DAY WITH PRAYER
A. It helps bring closure to the events of the day, both good and bad.
1. Talking to God about your victories and failures of the day helps you to go to sleep knowing all is well.
2. It also helps to keep you from making the same mistakes.
III. USE THE SCRIPTURES WHEN YOU PRAY
A. Remember God’s promises about prayer. Quote them. (Lord you said if we ask anything in your name…..) or (Where two or three gather together He is there)
B. The most powerful weapon we have is the Word of God (Hebrews 4:12)
C. Don’t do all the talking. Listen to what He has to say (Read Luke 11:28)
IV. MAKE YOUR PRAYER PERSONAL
A. God wants us to talk to Him like we talk to our best friend.
1. Use regular language, not “church language” (Tell about the little boy who heard the pastor pray, “Lord we know we are but dust”)
2. Be honest enough to tell Him what you really want. (Read I Peter 5:7)
It’s up to each of us. We can either continue worrying about things we have no control over or we can put it in God’s hands and allow Him to meet our every need. We all need to begin and end our day talking to God. We also need to stand on His promises and talk to Him like we would our best friend.