Summary: Dealing with Prayer. True Communication with God is the key.
Prayer – Communication
(Because of the video clip. This sermon was appealing to all ages. Kids to adults.
• Men and women are different
• This may sound like a simple statement.
• “Bro. Moore, most of us know that by now.”
• Well, there are more differences then people give credit.
• I have a couple I was counseling.
o They were holding many conversations.
o Sometimes with great volume.
o Bro. Tenny would call it “intense fellowship.”
o I became the interpreter.
o Yes, they both spoke “English”
o But, he was speaking man, and she was speaking woman.
o I would say to the man,
“You said this, but meant this.” “Correct”
“Dear Lady, you said this and meant this” “Correct”
o You see, they were talking but not communicating.
• Communicating is the key to conversation.
• Communication = the exchange of feelings and facts, sending and receiving ideas. (Communication is not just one direction)
• Mastering communication makes all the difference…think about this…
o When Coca-Cola first shipped to China, they named the product something that when pronounced sounded like "Coca-Cola." The only problem was that the characters used meant, "Bite the Wax Tadpole." They later changed to a set of characters that meant "Happiness In The Mouth."
o When Pepsi started marketing its products in China a few years back, they translated their slogan, "Pepsi Brings You Back to Life". But the slogan in Chinese really meant, "Pepsi Brings Your Ancestors Back From The Grave."
o Coors put its slogan, "Turn It Loose," into Spanish, where it was read as "Suffer From Diarrhea."
o The Chevy Nova never sold well in Spanish speaking countries. In Spanish "No Va" means "Does Not Go"
• Men, how many times have you told your wife something and she still got it wrong?
• Ladies, how many of you have told your husbands something as clearly as possible and he still got it messed up?
• Parents, how many of you have told your children something as clearly as possible and they still did just the opposite?
• Many times when you do, “Get through” to the other person they say, “Oh! Is that what you wanted?”
• No matter who you are in this life, communications has its challenges!
• The late Johnny Carson said, “If love is a dream, marriage is the alarm clock! If marriages are made in heaven, so is thunder and lightning!”
• My wife and I can talk all day and never communicate our ideas to each other. We have learned that we must communicate to the other person the way the receive information.
o Example: When the ladies in my house make me a grocery list. It must be placed so all the items are one below the other. If a note is on the side of the paper, or the bottom, I never see it. It is just the way my brain processes a grocery list.
• It’s not about the words said, it’s about getting your message across.
• This brings me to the subject for the night.
• Let’s discuss some aspects of prayer.
• We are a people that believe prayer works. “Amen!”
• We believe Prayer changes.
• We believe Prayer makes things happen.