Summary: EVERY BODY NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF FINDING THIER WAY BACK FROM FAILURE.
Prayer for Revival (Psalm 51)
1 ¶ To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.>> Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. 5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. 6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 ¶ Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. 13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. Psalm 51:1-17 (KJV)
• Prayer is the key to PERSONAL revival.
• Prayer is the key to CHURCH revival.
• Prayer is the key to WORLD revival.
David’s prayer in Ps 51 contains four definite elements essential to complete restoration.
1- The Prayer of CONFESSION.
1. Confession must include an honest recognition of NEED. (No pretense of self righteousness)
2. My “natural” inclination is to COVER my tracks.
• Enter Nathan the Prophet (2 Sam 12)
3. I must be willing to ACCEPT God’s verdict.
4. The problem has been with me since my BIRTH! (v 5) [historicallical]
5. Restoration demands that I see my sin as INEXCUSABLE!!! “my” five times in vv 1-3. (DO I ???)
2- The Prayer of REPENTANCE. [Turning From Sin]
1. There must be a willingness to CHANGE directions!!!!
2. Illustrated in the story of the Prodigal Son. (Lk 15:17-20)
• It has to do with the INTELLECT. (Lk 15:17, Mt 21:29)
• It has to do with the EMOTIONS. (2 Cor 7:9)
• It has to do with disposition or ACTIONS (Lk 15:18)
3. He SAW he was wrong - he FELT hurt by his wrong - then he TURNED toward home!
4. David did the same!!!
3- The Prayer For RENEWAL. [Restoration]
1. A great gulf between what God DESIRES and what David has confessed.
2. This self knowledge could led to DESPAIR.
3. My confession of faith is, “I shall be CLEAN”. (v. 7)
4. The nearest equivalent to “purge” would be “DE-sin”.
5. With God there are no HALF-measures! “Whiter than SNOW” (Isa. 1:18)
6. I am not looking for half-hearted help I’m DESPERATE.
4- The Prayer For USEFULNESS.
1. Lord, “make me a BLESSING”.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. 13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. (Ps. 51 KJV)