Summary: Introduction to this series on prayer. A challenge to the listeners, you will get out of prayer what you put into it.
Introduction to Prayer
1. I will recommend several books for you to read.
a. Some books I agree with everything the authors teach. With others I do not. I have learned to take what ministers to me and leave the rest.
Sometimes it’s a matter of having the gracing to walk. Don’t try and walk where the gracing is not upon you.
b. Only Christ had full revelation of the gospel and God’s will for mankind.
c. Paul had a glorious revelation and called it, “MY GOSPEL”
In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. Romans 2:16
Now to him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, Romans 16:25
Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: 2 Timothy 2:8
Peter validated Paul’s statement that it was his gospel in 2 Peter 3:15-16
"And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:15-16)
Paul’s own admission was that even with what he knew, there was more he did not know or understand
"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." (1 Corinthians 13:9-10)
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
(1 Cor. 13:12)
2. I will guarantee you that if you will apply what is taught, literally transform your life.
a. You will be able to daily communion with God. Any time you want, you can enter His presence.
b. You can ask questions and get answers from Him.
Lord, I don’t understand why so & so is like this. Wham… the answer comes to you.
Lord, my child is such and such. What shall I do? Wham…. the answer comes
c. Why then, if it is this simple, don’t more people get a hold of it and when they do, stick with it longer?
We will see why as we study the word.
3. You will get out – only what you put in.
a. Little time spent with God, little revelation and communion with God
Much time with God, much revelation and the sensing of his presence
b. My family spends minutes, I spend hours, the difference speaks for itself.
Hey dad, why don’t you ask God such and such or for so & so?
4. There are four keys to hearing God in prayer as found in Hab. 2:1-2
1. "I will stand upon my watch - Quiet myself down, stillness
2. and will watch to see – look for vision or a scene from the Bible
3. what he will say unto me – tune to flow, or spontaneous thoughts or pictures that come to you in your spirit.
4. And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables – write out what you sense God is saying to you in a journal.
- These teachings on the four steps are a from Mark Virkler, communing with God