Summary: Verses 17-24.—As a servant and a pilgrim, who finds himself to be a stranger in an enemy's country. His appeal is to God alone, and his prayer is especially direct and personal. He speaks with the Lord as a man speaks with his friend.
In our last study we studded the 2 nd stanza of this song Beth which was about (cleansing power of the
word of God) that you can’t wash or save from the sins it is only by the word of God which can cleanse and
protect us from the sin specially in our youth age.
Now we have the 3 rd stanza of this song Gimel again we have 8 verses in this section
When we are studding from this Psalm always remember one thing that this psalm is word of God and this
psalm affirms the importance and centrality of the word of God, so this is about the word of God
Verses 17-24.—In this section the trials of the way appear to be manifest to the Psalmist's mind, and he
prays accordingly for the help which will meet his case. so here he pleads as a servant and a pilgrim, who
finds himself to be a stranger in an enemy's country. His appeal is to God alone, and his prayer is
especially direct and personal. He speaks with the Lord as a man speaks with his friend.
1. Prayer of a Servant – v. 1-18, 22-23
a. A bountiful master
– His master is bountiful/gracious and merciful
– He owns the universe, he is master of all, he is master of the universe
- Psalmist considering himself the servant
- To the master who is merciful and who owns the universe
- It is an honor to be the servant of who own the universe but same time he is not cruel but gracious.
- If you consider him your master, it means that you are his servant
- and to serve him we need his mercy, not by our own efforts, wisdom, but we need his mercy and that is his
prayer to his master
c. A servant’s prayer points – V. 1a, 2, 22-23 – For three things
- Mercy upon me - be kind your servant, Deal bountifully
- Open my eyes
1. David is not blind, nor his eyesight is weak he could read word of God end to end, but his prayer is ‘open
2. We could be blind by having eyesight
3. (Paul prays for Ephesians 1:18 ‘that the eyes of your heart be enlighten’
4. Just imagen that for those who dose not have eyesight, who is not able to see the beauty of the nature,
creation, there is beauty but it is people those who don’t have eye they can’t see those beauty of the
5. This is basically prayer for the understanding or Godly wisdom
6. You cannot open your eyes, your friends can’t, your education, knowledge can’t only your master (owner
of your eyes can)
- Remove the shame and bitterness – v. 22-23
1. It is painful for David that he is facing shame and bitterness, from authorities too
2. To whom he is asking or reporting – not the human authorities, or men but to his master, who knows all
secrets and his sincerity
3. The reason for his shame and bitterness from people
i. Because he holds fast the word of God, he was faithful with the word of God or he was a living
testimony, (whoever wants to live a Godly life will persecuted)
ii. Or it may be possible that after lot of enemies, bitterness, shame and pain still he is not drift from the
word of God
2. The answer he is expecting – v. 1, 2, - Three answers he is expecting
- That I may live
a. We need God’s (master’s grace) to live
b. In general sense – everyone needs God’s grace to live, to breath or for everything
c. In master and servants’ sense – we need his grace to serve and live for him, it is He who enables us to live
for him, live with him through his mercy.
- To keep your word
a. It is to obey your words by your mercy
b. It is live according to your word through your mercy
c. By human nature we always disobey, live opposite of his word, and command therefore we need our
masters’ grace to live, obey, the word of God
- To know the wonderful thing of your word
a. We need God’s enlightenment/understanding/wisdom to see and understand the truth in the word of God
b. Bible is treasure of God for you and me - but we need God’s mercy to understand it
c. People do not understand
i. Jesus is God and creator of universe
ii. God came down in Jesus
iii. How can God love sinners?
iv. How can men be sinner by birth?
v. What is the origin of men and universe?
vi. What is the purpose of men’s life?