Summary: Jabez prayed to see beyond his situation and limitation and God answered his prayer - principles of Jabez prayer - a Prayer to The God of Jacob
Prayer of Jebez
1. Bless Me Indeed
A. He prayed to God of Israel (to the One who changed the name of Jacob).
B. Jacob got alone to pray – get into the closet and close the door behind you and pour your heart out.
C. Jacob taught that God wrestle with men in prayer. God is in the business of bringing people to JABBOK-Pour out- to bless people - Pour out your heart- shed some tears, he will collect in bottle.
D. Jacob was taught that he was crippled – helpless and powerless without God – total dependence on God
E. Jacob was taught that he could wrestle with God and prevail, that he could demand God’s blessing:
· Blessing to inherit the promised land
· Blessing to inherit the promised seed
F. Jacob was taught that he had to become a new man, change the behavior
G. Jacob asked God for more, asked God to confirm his deep experience: by revealing His name, the very name of God Himself (v.29).
H. The results of Jacob’s prevailing prayer (v.30-32).
I. He change the name of the place to PENIEL(meaning face of God) - meet God face to face
· Jacob named the place Peniel,
· Jacob was given two signs to commemorate his experience with God: a sunrise and his crippling.
· Jacob became a testimony to others
2. Enlarge my coast- Joshua 17:14-18
· There is also a City of Judah called Jabez 1 Chr. 2:55 -
· Some believers become borderline believers
· Perizzites – People with no vision(village people)
· Rephaites - Land of Giants, old race of Giants (for generations these giants were fighting with them. From the time of Abraham)
· Ephraim and Manasseh (tribes)
· 16 The people of Joseph replied, “The hill country is not enough for us, and all the Canaanites who live in the plain have iron chariots, both those in Beth Shan (“house of ease” ) and its settlements and those in the Valley of Jezreel. (“God sows” )” -(compare this with the statement of Caleb)
· They were “at ease at Zion” Josh. 17:16
· Spirit of Inactivity, Spirit of Slothfulness, Spirit of self-satisfaction, Spirit of Idleness.
· They became complacent, lethargic, sluggish and apathetic.
· To possess the promise land it requires the activity of the tribes. Otherwise, full inheritance could not be possessed.
· We must not gripped with a spirit of pride(self exaltation is a sin)
· We must not be “ease at Zion” it will be cursed by God.
· We must be zealous for God. We must persevere; endure until we inherit the full inheritance promised by God.
3. Let Your hand be with me
· Hand of God
· Ps 119:173, Isaiah 41:10, Joh 10:28 “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
· Psalm 119:173 “Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts.”
· John 10:28 “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.”
· The right hand was lifted up in taking an oath (Gen. 14:22). The hand is frequently mentioned, particularly the right hand, as a symbol of power and strength (Ps. 60:5; Isa. 28:2).
· A position at the right hand was regarded as the chief place of honor and power (Ps. 45:9; 80:17; 110:1; Matt. 26:64).
· Jesus touched the leper with his hand and healed beyond the law, beyond the rules he came an touched me.
· Moses in the cleft of the rock (Ex. 33)
· Protecting hand (Ps 139:9 I) was able to experience the glory of God in my life.
· Jesus used his hand to reach to Peter who was drowning in the water. He came to help in my weakness.
· You are in the hand of Jesus (wounded hand)
· I do not need to fear anything any more.
· Guiding hand Ps.139:9, 10 – when you do not know how to make a step – like a Dad, he will hold your hand and lead you to the future.