Summary: A shoe manufacturer who decided to open the Congo market sent two salesmen to the undeveloped territory. One salesman cabled back: “Prospect here nil. No one wears shoes.” The other salesman reported, “Market potential terrific! Everyone needs shoes.
Praying that the Eyes of Your Heart Would Be Enlightened (Eph. 1:16-20)
"I pray that the Father of Glory may grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation (of insight into the mysteries and secrets) in the deep and intimate knowledge of Him. By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints and so that you can known and understand what is the immeasurable and unlimited and surpassing greatness of His power in and for us who believe, as demonstrated by in the working of His mighty strength." (Amplified Bible)
Illustration: The Right Perspective
When Goliath came against the Israelites, the soldiers all thought, “He’s so big we can never kill him.”
David looked at the same giant and though, “He’s so big I can’t miss.”
God Can Make It Happen (Victor)
Illustration: How Do You Look at It?
A shoe manufacturer who decided to open the Congo market sent two salesmen to the undeveloped territory. One salesman cabled back: “Prospect here nil. No one wears shoes.”
The other salesman reported enthusiastically, “Market potential terrific! Everyone is barefooted.”
1. The Holy Spirit helps you visualize the possibilities in people, places and ministry situations. Robert Kennedy said, "Some people see things as they are. I try to see things as they could be."
Jesus was inspired by the Holy Spirit to see the potential in twelve ordinary men who would be used of God to help build Christ’s church. Paul wrote, "You are members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone." (Eph. 2:20) Ask the Lord to help you creatively visualize potential, possibilities and capabilities in everything and everyone.
Illustration: Charles Stanley shares how he was skinny, uncoordinated young lad who never got picked until dead last in pick-up ball games. He languished in mediocrity until he started visualizing what God wanted him to become. The rest is a story of Christ creating in him a marvelous example of a re-working in to someone who has influenced millions for Christ-likeness by correcting visualizing by the power of God’s word.
2. The Holy Spirit motivates us to try new things so we can see beyond our present horizons. Jesus sent 72 disciples out two by two ahead of him to every town where he was preach. He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest to send workers into his harvest field." Ask the Lord for more creative wisdom, knowledge and perspectives to motivate others to creatively visualize everything that God wants to do through them.
Illustration: Maine Farmer
A canny Maine farmer was approached by a stranger one day and asked how much he thought his prize Jersey cow was worth. The farmer thought for a moment, looked the stranger over, then said: “Are you the tax assessor, or has she been killed by your car?”
3. The Holy Spirit encourages us to be willing to take creative risks by faith regardless of the shame, difficulty, or suffering we may have to endure. Paul wrote of Abraham, "He staggered not as the promise of God through unbelief. But, he grew strong in faith being fully persuaded that He had power to do what He had promised." Ask the Lord to strengthen your faith so that you can follow Abraham who risked great shame, difficulty and suffering knowing God was able to provide the power to fulfill all of His promises.
I would rather lose in a cause that will some day win, than win in a cause that will some day lose. - —Woodrow Wilson (attributed)
4. The Holy Spirit wants to provide healing and deliverance for those who are creatively able to visualize new ways that God can restore them to health.
Illustration: One day a Canaanite woman came crying to Jesus, "Lord, have mercy on me. My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession. The disciples said, ‘Send her away.’ She came and knelt before Jesus and said, "Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.’ Then Jesus answered, ‘Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.’ And her daughter was healed from that very hour." (Matt. 15:22-28) Creatively ask the Lord for healing in new ways that other might not have thought of before - the Lord rewards creative faith.
5. The Holy Spirit urges us to visualize greater ways that the Lord can use us to multiply Christ’s kingdom and righteousness throughout the earth. Jesus said, "Do not say, ‘Four months more and then the harvest? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35) Ask the Lord to help you to open your eyes to ALL the possibilities that lie in front of you to multiply Christ’s kingdom, righteousness and truth throughout the world.