Summary: When you face 1) Problems: choose the 2) People you go to, 3) Praise God and turn in 4)Prayer to the God who is over it all.
Praying through problems Acts 4:23-31 WBC 26/5/02pm
So- what’s the problem, here?
- it’s not a problem, unless you’re a Saducee!
- = brilliant for the 5000 Xians!
40+ yr old man healed at Beautiful gate
no one could deny it. Even priests, Saducees
- but tragic that chose to stick to blindness, prejudices rather than face up to what God had so obviously done! Because challenged:
- ‘an issue dear to them’: resurrection (Saducees =no resurrection)
- their concept of Messiah
- quoting Ps 21 about how nations peoples and kings will oppose messiah
- = true! Okay to mention God, church… but “JESUS”?
- Sparks fly!! Why AC 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
- He is the cornerstone, capstone that folks love or reject. Most important person of history
so conclusion is (as Isaiah puts it) “leave this way, get off this path and stop confronting us with the Holy One of Israel”
….. or you’re dead meat”
- that’s the problem: “Something bad is going to happen if I do this, or don’t do this. The threat of these folks is TRUE”
- sound familiar? Personally
Well- if you’re anyone like me you’ll find a good way of dealing with these things is to worry about them.
= true! It works! 90% of the things I worry about never happen!!
- so it must work!
- Or, another good reaction is to wallow in it. “why soar like an eagle when you can wallow like a hippopotamus?!”
- Or another god reaction is to follow the thereat and MAKE it happen (Job “what I feared most has happened to me”
Mrs. Monroe lives in Darlington, Maryland. She’s the mother of 8 children. And except for a few interesting experiences, she’s just like any other mother across America. One experience was so unique that John Haggai put it in his book: "How to Win Over Worry."
She came home one afternoon from the grocery store and walked into her home and everything looked pretty much the same, though it was a little bit quieter than usual. She looked into the middle of the living room and 5 of her darlings were sitting around in a
circle, exceedingly quiet, doing something, with something in the middle of a circle. So she put down the sacks of groceries and walked over closely and looked and saw that they were playing with 5 of the cutest skunks you can imagine. She was instantly terrified and she said, "Run children, run! Each child grabbed a skunk and ran, in 5 different directions. She
was beside herself and screamed louder, more frantically, with great gusto. It so scared the children that each one squeezed his skunk! As the writer put it, "Skunks don’t like to be squeezed!"
These guys faced REAL problems. Real threat. Life or death
- sometimes we face real problems. Illness. Job threat. Relationship problems. Exams, and the life that lies after them
Note how these guys respond
“on their release, Peter and John went back to THEIR OWN PEOPLE”
This is interesting!
- I would have sat on the street ‘thinking deeply’ about it all