Summary: exposition on Matt ch 12
THE PRE-EMINENCE OF HIS MISSION, MESSAGE AND MOTIVATION
The pre-eminence of His mission V. 22 - "Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind and dumb; and he healed him."
1. His was a mission of power v. 22 "He healed him"
2. His was a mission of peril, v. 24 the Pharisees opposed Him
3. His was a mission of purpose v. 25 - 29 "he was breaking the stronghold of satan"
Here we see:-
(a) v. 29 The searching of the will of God "it is not God’s will that any should perish", Note :-
(1) The house is the body v. 29
(2) This house was dominated by satan (a strong man armed)
(3) How can such a one be delivered?
(b) v. 29 The striving of the work of God Answer
- First, bind the strong man (devil), How? by the power of God (stronger) and in the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ "He breaks the power of cancelled sin, and sets the prisoner free."
(c) v. 29 The spoiling of the word of God "wherefore if any man be in Christ he is a new creature, old things are passed away, and all things are become new"
4. His was a mission of privilege v. 28 "the kingdom of God is come unto you" note:- the preparations for this kingdom in O.T., the promise of this kingdom in the prophets, the presentation of this kingdom in Christ, and the privileges of this kingdom in heaven
5. and His was a mission of pardon v. 31 - "all manner of sin shall be forgiven" except one, note:-
(a) The character of this sin i.e.it is sin against the Holy Ghost v. 24 Beelzebub
W.P.Nicholson states. "The unpardonable sin is the continued and obstinate rejection of Christ, until there comes a time when His spirit ceases to strive and the offer of mercy and forgiveness is withdrawn and you are left to your doom & damnation."
(b) The cause of this sin - this sin is not so much an act as an attitude of heart, caused by:-
(1) Grieving the Holy Spirit (hindering his work and will in your heart)
(2) Resisting the Holy Spirit (setting yourself against the known will of God)
(3) Quenching the Holy Spirit (efectively putting God’s voice to silence, as water on a fire)
(4) Blaspheming the Holy Spirit (rejecting God completely) B.H. Carrol "if one blasphemes God, he still has the Son; if he blasphemes the Son, he still has the Spirit; but if he blasphemes the Spirit - he rejects God completely"
(c) The characteristics of this sin
There is :-
(1) No response to the gospel
(2) No recognition of need
(3) No repentance for sin
(4) No realisation of danger
(5) No respect for God
(6) No remedy for the soul
(d) The consequences of this sin - Proverbs 29 (quickview)  v. 1 "he that being often reproved, and hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy." - certain and sudden destruction
The pre-eminence of His message v. 38 - 45. v. 38 " we would see a sign from thee."signs sought, v. 39" there shall be no sign given to it." signs censored, v. 41 signs surpassed - a greater than Jonah is here, v. 45 sign seeking, is symptomatic of greater need i.e. reformation but not regeneration. "the last state of that man is worse than the first"