Summary: Preaching the Gospel brings the power of the kingdom to the very doorstep of those who do not know God.
Title: Preaching the Gospel
Text: Luke 10:1-16
1. Let’s go back to our series on using our authority in the kingdom of God. We come now to the second key of the kingdom: Preaching the Gospel.
2. Prayer can be done inside the four walls of our church. But preaching the Gospel cannot be done unless we go out and do it. Of course, we can preach the Gospel inside this church. But we will only reach those people who are already willing to come to us. What about those who would never come to us?
3. Jesus said we must “GO!” (Matthew 28:19-20) This means we have to take a risk and approach people we don’t know, get to know them, and somehow share with them the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Many people are scared about this.
4. Here is the truth: Obedience to the Great Commission is the greatest omission in the church today!
5. Actually preaching the Gospel is the third and most important key to seeing the kingdom of God come alive in the lives of people who may not know God. When we preach the Gospel – and if we do it correctly – we’re actually giving people an opportunity to experience the kingdom of God firsthand. SO LET’S GO AND PREACH THE GOSPEL NOW!
6. Luke 10:1-16 shows us how we can do this correctly. It involves the following steps:
a. Hear and obey the Lord’s command personally.
b. Go, and as you go, stay focused on the Great Commission.
c. Establish credibility.
d. Preach the Gospel through works and words.
e. Don’t take rejection personally.
1. Hear and obey the Lord’s command personally.
a. Verses 1 and 2 shows us that we need to hear personally from God and obey His call to fulfill the Great Commission.
b. These are the seventy-two, not the Twelve. We don’t hear about them anymore in the book of Acts. This means they are just ordinary believers! The Great Commission is addressed to everyone, not just the apostles!
c. The Lord was the one who appointed them and sent them out two by two. Tip: It’s good to have a partner who has the same conviction as you regarding the Great Commission. (Eccl 4:9-12) So start praying for one!
d. Notice the phrase, “and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go.” Jesus has already determined the places. He has already prepared each place by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are simply to trust him and go where he wants us to go.
e. Notice verse 2 also, which talks about the importance of prayer. We are to pray for more workers! Why don’t we do it right now? (Prayer for workers)
f. Remember, when you begin to hear God call you – and he is calling you -- you must be ready to obey. Obedience to the Great Commission is the greatest omission in the church today! BUT YOU GO AND PREACH THE GOSPEL NOW!
2. Go, and as you go, stay focused on the Great Commission.
a. After we hear God’s call personally, we must go and do it. Verses 3 and 4 give us important reminders concerning our going.
b. We must go with a sense of awareness that we are engaging in spiritual warfare (v.3)! We are like lambs among wolves! So we must be aware and ready. We must stay focused on the Great Commission. Illus. Military operation against the Abu Sayaf