Summary: EASTER CELEBRATES THE DAY THAT THE UNIVERSE CHANGED. GOD DIED TO RESTORE A FALLEN RACE TO HIMSELF AND HAVING RESTORED THEM HE TRANSFORMS THEM. OUR LENTEN JOURNEY WILL BE HEIGHTENED BY EXPLORING THE STORIES OF TRANSFORMATION IN JOHN'S GOSPEL.
The Prelude to Change
March 6, 2011
What is Easter all about? Eggs, a bunny, a tomb, a cross, lilies, candy, the resurrection.
EASTER CELEBRATES THE DAY THAT THE UNIVERSE CHANGED. GOD DIED TO RESTORE A FALLEN RACE TO HIMSELF AND HAVING RESTORED THEM HE TRANSFORMS THEM. OUR EASTER CELEBRATION WILL BE HEIGHTENED BY EXPLORING THE STORIES OF TRANSFORMATION IN JOHN'S GOSPEL.
T.S. Our study will be bookended between two very powerful passages of Scriptures. Turn with me to. . .
The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.
9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God-- 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.
25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.
I. The Key Themes in John's Gospel
There are certain points of emphasis in John's Gospel which we should also keep in mind as we begin our study of this great Gospel. John's emphasis includes ...
* the ministry of our Lord in Jerusalem and Judea, as opposed to His Galilean ministry
* more precise indications of time, especially in relationship to the Jewish feasts
* Christ's teaching (though not the parables)
* Jesus' private conversations with individuals (Nicodemus, woman at the well, Peter)
* Jesus' ministry to His disciples
* Jesus' teaching in the upper room, especially related to the coming of the Holy Spirit
* the last 24 hours of Jesus' life
* "My Father" occurs 35 times; "Verily, verily" (KJV) Truly (NIV) appears 25 times
II. What Is Missing in John's Gospel
When compared with the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke), John's Gospel does not include ...
* Jesus' genealogy, birth or childhood.
* our Lord's baptism and temptation in the wilderness.
* the Sermon on the Mount
* any casting out of demons, healing of lepers
* There are no parables
* The story of the Transfriguration
* The specific call of the twelve
* Anything about the end times
* There is no institution of the Lord's Supper, or the lord's agony in the garden.
* The Great Commission
* The ascension
III. What Is Found Only in John's Gospel
90% of the material found in the Gospel of John is unique to his Gospel.
* Jesus as the Logos (John 1)
* Jesus as the Creator (John 1)
* Jesus as the "one and only" of the Father (John 1)
* Jesus revealed as the great "I Am"
-- John 6:48 I am the bread of life.
-- John 8:12 "I am the light of the world.
-- John 10:9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.
-- John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
-- John 11:25-26 "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26 and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.
-- John 14:6 "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
-- John 15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
* Jesus turning the water into wine (John 2)
* the raising of Lazarus from the dead (John 11)
* Jesus washing the disciples' feet (John 13)
* Jesus' teaching on the coming of the Holy Spirit (John 14-16)