Summary: A message about the most important decision a person must make.
PREPARE TO MEET THY GOD
INTRO: There are many important events that take place in a mans life. His birth, first word, first step, first date, marriage, promotion, etc. Not all of these events take place in every life. But regardless of the person, or the event, no experience can outmeasure the experience of meeting God, and every one must meet God.
Some may lightly consider, or refuse to consider this momentous question.
Some may doubt the existence and authority of God. Some may disbelieve or
scorn the thought of the possibility of having to meet God face to face to give account for our deeds. Yet the fact remains that:
I. THE MEETING IS INEVITABLE.
A. No amount of contrary belief or unbelief can ever change this
B. No amount of theorizing or philosophizing will ever change this
C. No amount of objection or protesting will ever change this
D. It is one of the unalterable and eternally fixed decrees of an
unchanging and unchangeable God.
II. THE CONDITION OF THE SOUL WILL DETERMINE
THE NATURE OF THIS MEETING.
A. Good standing, good deeds, good relationships, attainments,
etc. will not help this meeting (Titus 3:5; Eph 2:8-9).
B. Works are only to increase our rewards in heaven.
III. IF THE MEETING IS TO BE A FORGIVING ONE,
PREPARATION MUST BE MADE.
A. The meeting will be one of joy or grief, blessedness or
anguish, triumph or defeat, salvation or condemnation.
1. There is an absolute desire to meet God in all people.
2. But there is no hope for a peaceful meeting without
B. Because no one in his natural condition is fit for heaven.
1. Heaven itself would be the hottest hell for the soul that would
enter without preparation.
2. There can be no happiness without suitability to the environ
3. There can be no happiness in heaven for a soul that is not pre
pared to fit the conditions there.
C. The test for admission into heaven will be rigid and exacting.
1. Nothing unholy, impure, or imperfect will be allowed to enter
heaven (Rev. 21:27).
2. None but the redeemed of the Lord will enter (Eph 5:27).
The one question for the unregenerate man, the man who has no hope,
and is without God in the world is:
IV. HOW SHALL THIS PREPARATION BE MADE?
A. By taking heed "according to his Word" (Ps. 119:9).
1. Paul said: "It is the power of God unto salvation to every one
that believeth." (Rom 1:16).
2. Peter said in 1 Peter 1:22-23: "That souls were born and puri
fied by obeying the truth through the Spirit."
B. By repenting of sin. John, Jesus, and Peter preached
repentance as necessary to the kingdom of heaven.
C. By believing in Jesus Christ as the only one in whom there is
D. By engaging fully and freely in a life of faithful service.
1. Our command is to serve (John 15:14).
2. This is how we lay up treasures.
CONC: When the conditions are fulfilled, salvation is not only assured, but is realized, and the required preparation to meet God in peace is fully made, so far as man’s part is concerned.
Preparation to meet God in peace is the supreme question in redemption.