Summary: The battle lines have been drawn, our family is at stake. The family structure has been under attack for quite awhile, are we prepared to fight?
What has gone wrong with America’s Children?
• Did you know that in the US, every 8 seconds of every school day a child drops out of school?
• Every 26 seconds a child runs away from home.
• Every 47 seconds a child is either abused or neglected.
• Every 7 minutes a child is arrested for a drug offense.
• Every 36 minutes a child is either hurt or killed by a gun.
• Could it simply be that America’s Parents haven’t read the Bible and haven’t taught their kids to obey & honor?
Our focus this morning by the Holy Spirit is caring for our kids…
• With all of the books & seminars, packets & pamphlets on raising kids… the Holy Spirit uses just 4 verses to lead us & teach us.
Maybe you’re not a parent this morning… well you’re still a kid.
• You’re a child of God, our faithful Heavenly Father.
• And as His children, we have the joy of relating to a father that never leaves us, never hurts us, and never gives up on us.
NOW Parents we have an awesome PRIVILEGE…
It has been said: Children will invariably talk, eat, walk, think, respond, and act like their parents. Give them a target to shoot at. Give them a goal to work toward. Give them a pattern that they can see clearly, and you give them something that gold and silver cannot buy.
• We have been given care of moldable, changeable, & unpredictable little persons who grow up so quickly!
YES… there are times, those difficult times when you might want to parent the way Mark Twain suggested:
When a kid turns thirteen, stick him in a barrel, nail the lid on top, and feed him through the knot hole. When he turns sixteen -- plug up the knot hole. But not even that plan will work. Neither you nor I have ever seen a teenager who could get enough food to survive through the knot hole of a barrel!
• We feed them, clothe them, house them…the PRACTICAL side.
• That’s the PRACTICAL SIDE… BUT MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY…
• We feed them God’s Word, clothe them with prayers, and house them in a spiritual, God-honoring home…
Proverbs 22.6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
Dorothy Law Nolte once wrote down these thoughts…
If a child lives with criticism, He learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility, He learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule, He learns to be shy.
If a child lives with shame, He learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance, He learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement, He learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise, He learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness, He learns justice.
If a child lives with security, He learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval, He learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,
He learns to find love in the world.
So our attention is turned toward children and parenting…
Q: What voice are you obeying as a parent? Is it pop psychology? Is it the latest videotape series? Is it nothing at all? Are you flying by in life by the seat of your pants?
• There is a Book out there that will help you parent.
• It’s the all time best seller – God’s Word!
• And I ask you to let the Holy Spirit speak to you this morning, open yourself up His leading and prompting…
I. (6:1-3) Obey & Honor.
1. (1) Children obey…
a. There’s God’s word to kids… OBEY YOUR PARENTS.
b. Wow… what a difference our world would experience if OBEDIENCE ruled the land!
The Greek Word “OBEY” is an interesting one…
• It carries the idea of a soldier ready to engage in battle…
• He’s listening carefully for the orders and instructions of his commanding officer. -- It’s a word of action
NOW NOTICE, Paul is not addressing the PARENTS here…
• He doesn’t say, “Hey, you parents, have your kids obey.”
• Instead he speaks directly to the children…
• But it’s not to just children who are young and dependent.
• The word Paul uses here ‘teknia’ doesn’t mean little ones, but refers to any person living under the roof of a parent’s home.
APP: Whether you are 9 or 19, 3 or 23, if you live under your parent’s roof, then you are a ‘teknia’.
• If you eat their food, use their bathroom, then this is the Word of God for you. OBEY your mom and dad.