Summary: Giving our family presents for Christmas is great ! But sharing with them "presence" is greater !
Presents Or Presence?
1. Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2. Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3. When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5. And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
6. And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
7. Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, inquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.
8. And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
9. When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
10. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
11. And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
Three six year old boys were playing the wise men in their church Christmas program. As they came up to Mary and Joseph at the stable, the first one handed over his present and said, “Gold.” The second presented his gift and said, “Myrrh.” The third one then gave them his treasure and said, “And Frank sent this.”
Have you started your Christmas shopping yet ?
Make sure you see me before you do.....I’ve got several things I want to add to your list !
Joke: A husband wasn’t overjoyed one year when he received a burial plot from his wife as a Christmas present. He was really disappointed the next year when he received nothing. He said to his wife....”My feelings are hurt because you didn’t get me anything for Christmas this year!” Her reply....”Mine have been hurt all year because you didn’t use what I gave you last year!”
Joke: A little boy paid a visit to Santa in the department store and presented him with a list of requests: a bicycle, a train, a bat and ball, a rocket set, and an airplane. Santa was impressed. He said, “Thanks for the list. I’ll check between now and Christmas to see whether or not you’ve been a good boy.” The little boy reached over to take the list back and said, “Never mind, I’ll settle for the bicycle.”
This morning I want to share with you a message on “Presents Or Presence?”
Now let’s face it ! Most of us like to get presents ! I would also say that most of us like to give presents ! We parents want to please our children, and so we buy and we buy.....and then we charge, and we charge.........
Yet....what do you think pleased the Lord the most ? Was it the presents of gold, myrrh, and frankincense that the Magi brought or was it their presence with the Christ child that counted the most ?
Now kids “relax”. I’m not trying to convince your parents that you don’t need anything this year, but I do want us to realize that presence is more important than our presents.
Ask the 150,000 men and women serving in Iraq what they would like to have for Christmas.....and they no doubt would say......I’d like to be home. I’d like to be with my family ! Ask their wives, husbands, children, and parents the same, and I believe you’d receive the same answer ! Oh....I’d give anything if they were home !
Ask the thousands, and thousands of children in orphanages, and foster home what they would like to have, and I believe most would like to have a family !
We can give our children, our family and our friends lots of different kinds of presents for Christmas, but nothing will compare with our presence !
Let me share the presence that we can share this year.
I. Give The Presence Of Our Lord.
Illust. One little girl came home from Sunday School proud that she had memorized a verse of scripture.....she quoted John 3:16 like this.....”For God so loved the world that he gave his only “forgotten” son........”