Summary: We have relegated fire...works to once a year. We have made certain fire...works off limits. This series will take us back to where we began (Acts 2) and see how the fire...works in our lives.
Pt. 3 – Pretty & Loud
We want fireworks at ball games, bowl games, birthday parties, and even at concerts. Without them we leave feeling cheated or short changed.
If we don’t have Fire…works at church I feel cheated too. If you will remember last week we discussed the fact that the Holy Spirit is so crucial to our lives because of His job description. Do you remember what function the Holy Spirit plays in our daily lives? I know He has the ability to show up a certain moments and those are exciting moments that we will talk about today. However, there are also daily things that He does in and through us.
1. The Holy Spirit brings Regeneration – new birth – he has a hand in bringing us to Jesus.
2. The Holy Spirit Convicts Of Sin – He blows the whistle on our sin so that we live at a higher level of holiness.
3. The Holy Spirit Comforts In Time Of Sorrow – when everything is falling apart, when tragedy strikes He brings peace that passes all understanding.
4. He Teaches Us God’s Will – He helps us find truth and direction.
5. He Helps Us To Remember – which I am thankful for because I am on info. overload.
6. He Gives Us Power To Overcome The Devil – supernatural power for a supernatural fight.
7. He Empowers Us For Service – more than goose bumps and feel goods. His power is for service in and to His body.
8. He communicates for us and through us – He empowers our prayer life through tongues and groaning that give us a direct pipe line to God.
9. To Witness – perhaps the least emphasized and utilized aspect of the Holy Spirit is that He gives us power to evangelize the world.
10. He gives Gifts – You will remember this where we stopped. I want us to look carefully at the gifts that Holy Spirit gives to us.
Loud or pretty? When you talk to people about fireworks it seems that they are split over which they like the best. Some like the loud bangs that rattle your teeth while others are simply mesmerized by the shower of the sparks that create the beautiful flowers in the sky.
However, what I would say to you is that it takes both. A fireworks show with only the loud explosions feels more like a bombing or a war zone than an enjoyable experience. While at the same time only sparks gets boring and lacks the ability to keep or get your attention. Balance is the key.
When it comes to the gifts of the Holy Spirit this true as well. We need a balance of the loud and the pretty gifts to have a quality experience in our lives and services. Some of the gifts are very loud and some might even go one step further and say scary. If you don’t understand that, then you have never been in a service where the gift of knowledge is flowing. It can be rattling. Other gifts seem to be pretty. These gifts make us feel good like service or even administration. They are often behind the scene type gifts that we feel safe and comfortable around.
If you will allow me I want to take a few moments and examine these big bangs and glow shows to try to help us understand what the gifts are and how they are to be used.