Summary: In the series Prime Time Christianity, Pastor Terry will look at our impact for Christ in the world around us with some help from this seasons more popular prime time Television Series. In this introduction we will be challenged to consider this our prim
In the next few weeks Network Television will be scrambling for your audience as they launch the season premieres of numerous television series. Again this year Reality Television is flooding the airways and cable lines.
By far, I think ABC has something going in their line up. I mean look at how these shows build on one another…
Men In Trees
Women’s Murder Club
Extreme Make Over
What is it with Reality TV anyway? They create a challenging environment then turn a diverse group of people lose to create some kind of order and, in the process form alliances, clicks, make deals and promises all in the hope of being recognized in the end as the champion of the cause.
Sometimes I wonder if some of these Network Execs and writers are actually closet church goers, sitting in the back pews of most American Churches getting the inspiration for their next big hit. “Pastor, that sounds kind of harsh”….
Then look at our text again with me…
13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.
It serves to reason that Paul was addressing the Church at Rome regarding how they needed to walk, implying that there was some room for improvement.
Notice Paul makes another statement to this body
And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed.
This isn’t a message about the end times. Let me tell you some things I know about the end times…
• People have been saying “we are in the last days” since the Monday after the Resurrection.
• Jesus said that “no man knows the day or hour” but we can know the season of His return.
• Pre-Trib, Mid-Trib, Post-Trib Pan- Trib - - Interesting doctrinal discussion but the most important thing is to be ready!
32 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 Take heed,(pay attention) watch and pray (be ready); for you do not know when the time is.
I may not know when the time is,
but I do know what the time is!
It’s the Churches prime time!
Before you wake up in the morning, tens of thousands of lives are going to be changed forever… Statistically:
• 10,799 babies will be born (3,445 of those births will be to unwed mothers) and 6,403 people will die.
• 84 people will commit suicide, 45 people will die of AIDS and 43 will die from an alcohol related car crash.
• 4,630 girls under the age of 16 will have sexual intercourse for the first time. 1,312 students will drop out of high school.
• 28,206 people will be arrested, 4,274 of them on drug abuse violations.
• 3,396 households will declare bankruptcy and 63,288 people will go on food stamps
• 6 new churches formed today and 8 will close their doors for the last time.
• Most staggering; it is estimated that over 3,000 people will die not knowing Jesus Christ as their personal savior.
If there was ever a Prime Time for authentic Christianity, it’s now!
Jesus said: John 4:35
Do you not say, ’There are still four months and then comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest!
36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. 38 Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest."
So what should our response be today?
1. See our society as Christ sees it – weary and scattered – “he was moved with compassion.
2. Pray for laborers
a. We are not told to pray for the harvest
b. But we are told to pray that the fruit remain.
3. Become a laborer for the Kingdom of God.
A note from Pastor Terry,
Thanks so much for looking over this message. I trust that, in some way, you were blessed, encouraged and empowered on your own walk with Christ. Every message I prepare is bathed in prayer that God will draw, inspire, and challenge my listeners (or readers) into a more meaningful and power-filled walk with Him.