Summary: As Prince of Peace, Jesus came to bring us into harmony (shalom) with God, others, and within ourselves.
1. Isaiah 9.6-7; His Name will be Called:
* Wonderful -- He takes care of the dullness of life (meant to be exciting and abundant)
* Counselor -- He takes care of the decisions of life -- directs our steps
* Mighty God -- He takes care of the demands of life
* Eternal Father -- he takes care of the destination of life
* Prince of Peace -- he takes care of the disturbances of life
2. That's Our Tradition!
It is said that during a service at an old synagogue in Eastern Europe, when the Shema prayer was said, half the congregants stood up and half remained sitting. The half that was seated started yelling at those standing to sit down, and the ones standing yelled at the ones sitting to stand up. The rabbi, learned as he was in the Law and commentaries, didn't know what to do. His congregation suggested that he consult a housebound 98-year-old man, who was one of the original founders of their congregation. The rabbi hoped the elderly man would be able to tell him what the actual tradition was, so he went to the nursing home with a representative of each faction of the congregation.
The one whose followers stood during Shema said to the old man, "Is it our tradition to stand during this prayer?" The old man answered, "No, that is not our tradition."
The one whose followers sat asked, "Is it our tradition to sit during Shema?" The old man answered, "No, that is not our tradition."
Then the rabbi said to the old man, "The congregants fight all the time, yelling at each other about whether they should sit or stand..." The old man interrupted, exclaiming, "THAT is our tradition!"
3. Peace is more than the absence of conflict; it is order as opposed to chaos; God brought peace/order out of chaos in the beginning and still does through is Prince of Peace. (1 Corinthians 14.33)
I. Our Prince of Peace Resolves Our Chaos with God
It's not the parts if the bible I don't understand that trouble me, it's the parts I do. ~ Mark Twain
* Do you struggle with your shortcomings before God?
A. He Reconciled us to Himself -- 2 Corinthians 5.17-19
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
1. Return to favor
2. Prodigal son
3. HIS initiative
B. He Removed the Separation -- Romans 6.23
1. Does not ignore our sin
2. Paid our Price -- justice was done
C. He Revealed the way to peace -- Romans 5.1
Therefore, since we are justified by faith [declared righteous], we have peace [end of animosity and increased harmony] with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
1. Faith in God that is willing to follow Him
2. Abraham -- Romans 4.3-5
3 For what does the scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness." 4 Now to one who works, his wages are not reckoned as a gift but as his due. 5 And to one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.