Summary: The purpose of this sermon is to provide biblical principles to grow strong in your relationship with God. Our relationship with God is built on the premise of absolute love for God. We are to love him with all that we are and more than anything else.
Consider the following principles for growing in your relationship with God.
I. BECOME BETTER ACQUAINTED WITH GOD
A. Any type of relationship begins with at least a minimum level of acquaintance.
B. We get acquainted with God through:
1. His Word – it reveals God.
2. Prayer – prayer is not just for requisitions, it should also be for communication.
3. Fellowship with believers – There are those who call themselves believers, yet believe very little. Then there are those who are committed to God and represent all that He is, those are the ones you want to fellowship with.
II. BE INTENTIONAL TO ACKNOWLEDGE GOD
A. Any relationship develops with acknowledgment.
B. A growing relationship with God requires that you acknowledge:
1. His presence – God is omni-present, He is everywhere; yet He desires that we acknowledge His presence in our life.
2. His character – Come to understand all that God is: holy, sovereign, all powerful, all knowing, all loving, etc.
3. His love – God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. (John 3:16, 15:13)
III. BE OPEN TO ACCEPT ALL GOD HAS FOR YOU
A. Any relationship is strengthened through acceptance.
B. A growing relationship with God demands that we learn to accept:
1. His love
2. His forgiveness
3. His will
4. His way
IV. BE WILLING TO ACQUIESCE TO GOD'S PLAN
A. Acquiescence means to submit.
B. A lasting relationship is built upon submission.
C. A growing relationship with God can only be established through absolute submission.
D. We must submit to:
1. His purpose
2. His plans
3. His direction
4. His Word
When we take time to become more acquainted with God, acknowledge God in every area of our life, have a growing acceptance of God in our life, and acquiesce to God's will, we will begin to notice that our relationship with God has become deeper and more meaningful.