Summary: An outline defining public worship from I Corinthians 14
Principles of Public Worship
I. The Practice of Ministers/Worship Leaders Questioned (v.26)
A. Everyone Attempting Their Own Way of Worship (v.26a)
B. Edification Always One Goal of Worship (v.26b)
II. The Principles of Ministering/Worship Leading Qualified (v.27-33)
A. Explicit Rules for Leading Worship (v.27-31)
B. Encouraging All to Participate (v.28)
C. Exhorting to Orderly Worship (v.29, 30)
III. The People Of /Ministry Worship Leading Qualified (v.34, 35)
A. Exhortation for Silence to Women (v.34a)
B. Example of the Law (v.34b)
C. Explicit Rules for Women (v.35)
Ten Biblical Principles Against Contemporary Worship/Music [copied: Bill Gothard publication]
1. Godly Music Must Be Pure: Test the Spirit 1. Who does it glorify? (God, the performer, world’s philosophy, composer etc.)
3. Does this music violate your spirit in any way?
2. Godly Music Must Be Orderly: Test the Message 1. Are all the elements of this music combined in proper balance?
(I Cor. 14:33) 2. Does the melody line have a balanced rising and falling contour matching the words?
3. What message is conveyed by the harmony? (Mood, emotions, atmosphere)
4. Does the rhythm of the music dominate the message?
5. Does the organization of the music show orderly design w/definite beginning & end?
6. Does the music have a balanced message of tension and relaxation?
7. Does the music overpower the text thereby hiding the message?
8. Is the text accurate according to the Word of God?
9. Is the text ambiguous or unclear in meaning?
10. Does the performer imply intimacy w/listener w/breathy lyrics or sagging/sliding?
11. Is it a new sound as in entertainment style or is it a new song showing a changed life?
3. Godly Music Must Be Edifying: Test the Fruit 1. Does the music refresh and invigorate the body?
(Heb. 13:15) 2. Does the music inspire the mind and invoke healthy, positive emotional responses/
3. Does the music uplift the spirit and draw the listener closer to God?
4. Does the music end on a note of praise to or focus on God?