Summary: Jesus said, ``I will build my church and the gates of hell (all evil opposing forces) will not prevail against it!’’ (Matt. 16:18) Since, the church is Christ’s body, it is His work to see that it grows qualitatively and quantitatively. We can belief,
Using Principles, Practices, & Steps
of Church Growth & Planting
Principles, Practices, and Steps of Church Growth and Church Planting
1. The students will be able to explain how the Holy Spirit helps the church grow.
2. The students will be able to state five mission strategies for church growth.
3. The students will be able to list areas where they should concentrate their church planting efforts.
4. The students will be able to explain five motivations that influence conversion and explain reasons for different receptivity among some people.
Introduction - Jesus said, ``I will build my church and the gates of hell (all evil opposing forces) will not prevail against it!’’ (Matt. 16:18)
Since, the church is Christ’s body, it is His work to see that it grows qualitatively and quantitatively. We can belief, work, and contribute to the growth of the church in terms of winning more people with the promise of Christ’s support. The elements of that promise from Christ include:
1. Christ founded the church - ``No other foundation can any man lay except that which is Jesus Christ!’’ (I Cor. 3:11)
2. Christ is the builder of the church - Paul said, ``I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who water is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.’’ (I Cor. 3:6-8)
3. Christ has power over all enemies of the church - Gamaliel said in Acts 5:38 (quickview) , ``. . . For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.’’
4. Christ’s Church will Endure - When all secret societies, false religions, and traditional beliefs have vanished, the church will prevail.
Definition of Church Growth -
1. The Church grows quantitatively by increasing the number of: buildings, house churches, numbers of missionaries it has sent out into new geographical areas, sizes of worship centers, and number of converts, transfers, and children joining the church. (Acts 2:41-42 (quickview) 4:4, 5:14; 6:1-7; 9:31; 16:5)
2. The Church grows qualitatively when members mature spiritually in: their worship, service, fellowship, commitments, giving, Biblical understanding, outreach efforts, societal impact, and cultural influence!!! (Eph. 4:11-16; Col. 2:6-7)
I. How the Holy Spirit Causes the Church to Grow Today!
C. The Holy Spirit builds, preserves, and expands the church.
D. The Holy Spirit will lead the church safely to its eternal destiny after it has fulfilled its mission.
E. The Holy Spirit helps the church grow through His ministry of inspiration, illumination, and revelation through the Scriptures!