Summary: Hell's discription and only one escape from hell that is through the blood of Christ
- I believe that we're reaping the benefits of failing to bring that message of hell.
- I believe the reason we have so much, so-called hell in our world is because we have so little in our pulpits.
- We are quick to respond in anger "Go to Hell"
- We use this statement as a punctuation
- We have become prisoners of Hell
Misconception of Hell
- We have little understanding of Hell?
- You believe it is a place that’s hot
- People also believe it to be a place where they will spend the rest of their existence living in any way they desire.
- After all, they’re dead.
- They’re in hell.
- What more can happen to them?
- Party up for all eternity
They believe that they’ll be:
• Free To Fornicate,
• Shoot Up,
• Drink Up
- Truly a serious misconception of Hell.
- Colonel Robert Ingersoll, one of the nineteenth century’s most fervent opponents of Christ, Christianity, and hell.
- "The idea of hell was born of revenge and brutality on the one side, and cowardice on the other…. I have no respect for any human being who believes in it … I dislike this doctrine, I hate it, I despise it, I defy this doctrine…. This doctrine of hell is infamous beyond all power to express."
ABC News Poll
- 70% of Americans believed in Heaven
- Only 56% believed in Hell
Hell seemly is cruel, barbarous & inhuman, lasting for eternity it can't be real we want to think
1. Hell is a Literal Place v. 23, 28
- In the 38 parables Jesus told, he never called anyone by name.
- Here He identifies two of the characters by name, Lazarus and Abraham.
- Eleazar – OT Heb. Lazarus NT Gk
- “God is my help"
- Dives (dye-vees) - Latin for "rich man"
2. Hell Is Filled With Real People v.22
- Dives has 5 brothers
- He had parents
- People we know will go there
- People who simply said no to God
- Matthew 25:41 (AV)
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
3. Hell a Place of Torment v. 23-25
- Torment is in the plural - v.23
- Misery and pain
- Torment – 4x
- To plague without escape
- Unquenchable Fire
Mark 9:43 (AV)
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
- Intense, unsatisfied thirst – Luke 16:24
- "And he cried" GW "He yelled"
- Frustration and anger – Luke. 13:28; Matt. 24:51
- Eternal separation –v. 26 Rev. 21:8 –
- A great gulf
Revelation 21:8 (AV)
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
- From what? Everything beautiful!
- Memories & Sorrow
- Spoken to Dives - "Son remember" 25, 27-28
4. A Prisoner of Hell