Summary: This series entitled "PROFILE", meaning our profile in the eyes of the Living God.
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 1 PETER 2:9-10 (English Standard Version)
When man started to live in depravity, it was worst thing that happened in history that man fall into the sin. Because of what man did, God became angry towards man. But His mercy prevailed. He did a lot of things just to tell the people to live in righteousness, from the time of Adam and Eve, from the time of many prophets, God still made a way to speak to His people. Until the time came, when God's love reaches down to our level (Deuteronomy 34:5), and His love reveals Himself (Deuteronomy 34:6-7) by sending His One and Only Begotten Son Jesus, He emptied Himself, even His Deity or His Divinity, for Him just to reach down to our level, show God's unconditional love. We are rejected by God because all of us are sinners. But He chose us regardless of our past, regardless of who we are, but because of what Christ did on the Cross. In this lesson, we will look into the 3 reason why God chosen us.
1). GOD’S SOVEREIGN DECISION
- 9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession,.... 1 PETER 2:9
- 4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us. EPHESIANS 2:4
- 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. JOHN 15:16
We are chosen because of God’s absolute mercy, not our own deeds. Before our birth (Jeremiah 1:5), God has set us apart for a His own purpose. God’s decision cannot be thwarted by anyone or by anything, and that is why He fully decided to choose us regardless of who we are in the past, regardless of our past mistakes, but because of the character of God. God chose us to bear fruit.
2). GOD’S SELECTIVE DEFINITION
- 9 … that you may declare the praises of him…1 PETER 2:9
- 9 .. who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began.. 2 TIMOTHY 1:9
- 16 For now I have chosen and consecrated this house that my name may be there for ever. My eyes and my heart will be there for all time. 2 CHRONICLES 7:16
God has chosen us, because He has given us a specific mission and particular task which is to live a life of holiness and righteousness. God wants us to be consecrated for His own purpose. As God’s chosen people, we must separate ourselves from the pattern of this world. We must live a different lifestyle according to God’s standard.
3). GOD’S SPECIFIC DIRECTION
- 9 .. who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 PETER 2:9
- 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong. 1 CORINTHIANS 1:27
Since God has chosen us for His own purpose, He has also chosen us for a specific direction. God has specific will for each and everyone He has chosen. Our job in life is not to choose our own plan but to discover His plan. When we discover God’s will, we will simultaneously discover a supernatural empowerment to do what He has called us to do. Our God wants us to obey His commands and actively seek Him about His plan for us by allowing Him to guide us into His specific will.
MAIN POINT: We are chosen by God not because who we are, but because who He is.