Summary: There are steps that you may take toward a fulfilled life.
Life-Line For Jesus Community Church
Lorenzo Nicholson Sr.
Progressive steps to a fulfilled life II
Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
We have seen four progressive steps toward a fulfilled life in verses 1&2. They are, “justified by faith, peace with God, access into grace and rejoicing in hope.” God has brought the believer from a state of total depravity to a state of rejoicing in heart. We come now to more progressive steps that lead to a fulfilled life. These steps reveal the response of the person who has been given a new hope. Because of the revelation of such a hope, we now see a far better future than our blemished past. Therefore we are not only rejoice in hope of the glory of God, but we also:
I. “…glory in tribulations also. We can do this because tribulation can no longer cripple and defeat. We are connected to Jesus and nothing can separate us.
A. Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
B. We have learned through the preaching of the gospel that, “through much tribulation we enter the kingdom of God. (Act 14:21-22)
C. Rom 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. (This is tribulation.) But know this fact: Verse 37
1. “…in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
2. The hope that God has given us is so blessed that it increases our faith and persuades us that we can endure anything. Note what Paul said in verse 38. NIV
a. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
II. When we access grace we learn the meaning of all that we have to go through in this life. Notice the progression. It all starts to make sense. Why should we have to endure tribulation?
A. Rom 5:3b “…knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
1. We must have patience for it is the backbone of faith that endures. (Patience insures perseverance.) You cannot persevere if you have no patience.
2. We learn in tribulation to wait on God. It brings greater glory to him because he is the only one who can deliver us.
B. Rom 5:4 And patience—perseverance, works experience;
1. If you have never been compelled to wait and have patience, you don’t have any experience in trusting God. You are a faithless jelly belly Christian who is weak and have no backbone. You can never help anyone else to over come because you have never overcome anything. If you have experience, you can help someone else.