Summary: Jesus doesn’t abandon us during grief experiences. In fact, He promises to be with us. We consider three important promises He makes to us during such times.
Intro: In times of loss and deep grief, our Lord
may seem "far away"...but today we can trust in
His presence. He also gives us three precious
promises to consider today as we mourn the loss
of our departed loved one:
I. He promises to HEAR us
1. Many well meaning statements have been
made during the visitation to the family.
2. One question inevitably asked: "How are you?"
3. One bereaved widow said "they must not have
wanted to know, because when I began to tell
them, it was as if they weren’t listening."
4. Jesus promises to HEAR OUR HURTS, OUR ANGER
OUR CONFUSION, OUR FRUSTRATION, AND OUR QUESTIONS
AS WE WORK THROUGH THE LOSS OF OUR LOVED ONE.
5. After all, Jesus is described in Scripture
as a "man of sorrows...aquainted with grief"
6. We can rest assured he will keep his promise
to Hear us...SO CALL UPON HIM OFTEN IN DAYS
II. He Promises to HELP us
1.During such times, many have reported the
inability to "think straight" and to handle
all tasks that need doing following such
2.IF WE CALL UPON HIM, JESUS CAN DISPATCH
JUST THE RIGHT PERSON FOR JUST THE RIGHT
MOMENT OF YOUR NEED...perhaps a friend to
listen, a motivator to encourage us, an
expert to advise on business matters, a legal
expert, a medical person, etc.
3.He told the disciples
"I will not leave you comfortless, I will come
4. Again, call upon Him often in days ahead
and rest in His promise to dispatch just
the help you need.
III. He promises to HEAL us
1. During such a loss, emotions are fractured,
hearts are broken, our spirits are "paused"
from action due to the heaviness of the loss.
2. Jesus promises that day by day, little by
little, as distance from today’s events
progresses, you will begin to sense your
emotions healing, your heart begins to mend,
and you begin to regain your spirit to move
3. This process is assisted by you calling
on Jesus Christ who loves you for help
in this healing process.
4. Jesus can enable you to cope daily with
progressing beyond this moment...He can
and He will begin the healing process for
your hearts and your emotions as you call
for His help.
Remember what He said in our text: "I am with you
always...even to the end of the age." Let us hear
and lean on his precious promises to HEAR, HELP,
AND HEAL US within this most difficult time of