Summary: Birth of Christ series (2 of 5).
THE BIRTH OF CHRIST
PROPHECIES RELATING TO THE MESSIAH
INTRO: Last time, we looked at the prophecy of the Messiah to come. To
day, we want to continue with the Prophecies Relating To The Messiah.
I. JESUS HIMSELF EXPOUNDED THE SCRIPTURES CON
A. Luke 24:27.
1. These words are spoken after his resurrection.
2. Jesus placed emphasis on the Old Testament prophecies.
3. Luke 24:44b--in the upper room.
II. MESSIANIC PROPHECY IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.
A. General prophecies that there is a person to come.
1. Genesis 3:15.
2. Genesis 22:18--telling that He would be Abraham’s seed.
3. Genesis 49:10--prophecy that one of Jacob’s sons is to be the
ancestor of Jesus (Judah).
4. 2 Samuel 7:12-13--Jesus’ birth brought down to the line of Da
a. Only divinely approved and accepted line in the Old Testa
b. Every king from David to the destruction of Jerusalem was
from this line.
c. Therefore, Jesus was from this line, and had a legal
right to the throne.
ILLUS: of Lincoln. Robert Todd--only son of four who lived long enough to
have children. He had 2 girls and 1 boy. The boy died at 17. In 2 generations,the male line was terminated. If Lincoln had said "my great-grandson would get my property," there would have been none to get it.
5. 1,000 years before Christ--it was predicted that David’s line
would bring forth the Messiah.
6. Prophecy of the Virgin Birth.
a. Widely disputed today.
b. Matt. 1:18-25--leaves no room for doubt.
7. Prophecy of Micah (Micah 5:2).
a. Micah put his finger on smallest country (Palestine); 1
out of 12 tribes (Judah); 1 village (Bethlehem); as the
place of Jesus birth.
b. If he were guessing, he would have guessed Jerusalem, be
cause all of David’s descendants were born there in the
8. The perfect timing of His birth.
a. Joseph and Mary weren’t living in Bethlehem, but in Naza
b. What brought them to Bethlehem?—A law that they must
go to the city of their birth to pay their poll tax.
c. The arrangement of God in everything.
(1) If Mary had been six months earlier in her pregnancy,
(2) If she had been six months later, what then?
CONC: Next time, HIS THREEFOLD OFFICE.