Summary: The Spirit and Power of Elijah is being poured upon people today.
13. He also took up the mantel of Elijah that fell from him and returned and stood by the bank of the Jordan.
14. He took the mantel of Elijah that fell from him and struck the waters and said, Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah? And when he had also struck the waters, they were divided here and there; and Elisha crossed over.
3. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
DREAM PASTOR JOE ROWLAND 11-8-2003
I dreamed I was at Christy’s house. There was a pool with a cloak of some kind. It said Prophesy on it in big letters. We were going to paint the word Prophesy in white letters, around the letters was a gray area.
We live in a day where we need to know how the Holy Spirit works.
The church world has been hurt because they don’t understand this.
There needs to be understanding!
Periodically I’ve been talking about the Gifts of the Spirit on Sunday nights.
This morning God wants me to talk about Prophecy.
In the simple gift there is no revelation, the simple gift is given for edification, exhortation, and comfort.
The second classification is the office of a Prophet.
In this there is Revelation or Forth telling coming forth.
It’s interesting to note the difference between prophecy in the Old Testament and the New Testament.
In the Old Testament prophecy was essentially fore telling.
In the New Testament we see the gift of prophecy shifts strongly to forth telling.
Prophecy is more than preaching.
Some people think to prophesy means to preach.
Its not prophesying, but it can be used in the message.
A lot of times God will give me a dream, after the service someone will come up to me and say it hit them.
Usually, not always, they would be the one in my dream.
This would be prophetic preaching, but its not necessarily prophesying.
If a preacher is anointed of God, He gives them their message.
Gods knows what they need.
The gift of Prophecy should not be confused with the prophetic office.
The simple gift has no revelation in it.
It speaks to men edification, exhortation, and comfort.
It is to edify the church.
If the simple gift of Prophesy operates thru a person that does not make him a Prophet.
For example: A rich man has money, most of us have at least some money, even if it’s only a few cents.
That doesn’t make us rich.
By the same token, a Prophet would of course prophesy.
But a person who Prophecies wouldn’t necessarily be a Prophet.
A Prophet would have more of the Gifts of the Spirit in operation.
He would have revelation Gifts operating along with Prophesy.
29. Let the Prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30. If anything be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.