Summary: Our faith and the church is built upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets. Let's note 3 truths about the Old Testament Prophets.
Prophets for Our Spiritual Profit
1. I love to joke about sending people a Groundhog's Day card.
2. If there ever was a minor holiday, if it could be called that, it is Groundhog's Day.
3. David Roper writes:
Punxsutawney Phil is a groundhog that comes out of his burrow on Gobbler’s Knob, Pennsylvania, each February 2 to predict the weather. According to legend, if Phil sees his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks of cold weather. If he doesn’t see his shadow, spring will come early.
This is all humbug and good humor, of course. No one to my knowledge takes Phil’s predictions seriously. Furthermore, he’s unreliable—more often wrong than right, I’m told. [Source: Our Daily Bread]
4. All nations and most religions had their prophets. But Yahweh was not just any god, but the true God; and His people, Israel, were not just any people, but His chosen people.
5. We know our faith is true for a number of reasons; one of them is the existence of the nation of Israel. Another is what Peter mentioned last week, the fact that our belief in Jesus is based upon eyewitness accounts. Elsewhere, Paul makes a similar point when he mentions that Jesus appeared to a group of over 500 people after His resurrection (I Cor. 15:6), most of whom were alive at the time of Paul's writing.
6. But another monumental evidence for the truth of our faith is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy.
And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
Main Idea: Our faith and the church is built upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets. Let's note 3 truths about the Old Testament Prophets.
I. The Prophets Still Give Us A Sense of CERTAINTY (19a-b)
A. Our CERTAINTY is doubly high (19a)
1. Eyewitness testimony is such an important evidence that we use it in our courts today.
2. But fulfilled prophecy is even more convincing.
3. Putting them together increases the credibility of both
4. If the Bible is to transform our lives, we must believe in its powere!
A man went to a bookbinder to get a well-used New Testament rebound in leather. He wanted the side binding to read: “The New Testament”. When the job was finished, the binder explained that he just wasn’t able to get all the letters on the side, so he abbreviated: “TNT”. (Bob Leroe, SermonCenral)
B. Our ATTENTION should be directed toward them (19b)
1. The early Christians were into learning & contemplating God's Word
2. I think God wants us to give attention to the teachings of the prophets as a faith builder
3. We all struggle with doubt; faith can only exist if competing with doubt, otherwise it is presumption